+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    If these things did occur they need to be exposed. You've made a bunch of accusations and claims in these past few messages. How can you prove the various things you are saying?

Let's just take two of them. For instance, if Discovery's lowest cutoff for any school (Latin) was 458, then how could somebody with a 430 get in? What was the extenuating circumstance? Saying something like 30 other kids should have gotten in does not equal such a waiver. So what was the waiver and its conditions? Did the family do a review and find errors in their child's scoring?

Or for instance, you say kids who got around ~475 appealed and said they got higher. Do you mean non-Discovery kids? And what do you mean "said they got higher." How can they just say they got higher? You're still not being specific about this after many days (and I think month's bc I did seem to recall your posts related to this back in March or so too, so even then too just accusatory and not with specifics).

So what exactly convinced the DOE to give them a SHS spot. Either their score was in error or not. What else is amiss if not?
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

Shsat

Hello there Sunshine,

I am currently a Junior at BXSCI (Freshman Year was spent at Brooklyn Tech) and I just wanted to say that if your son believed that it was easy then it probably was. In recent years with all this fuss about specialized high schools De Blasio has tried to get rid of the test but to no avail, he recently gave up on the idea of scrapping the test but has found a loophole.

He has made the test easier in recent years and thus increasing the cutoff scores to these schools in the process. I know this because I took the old SHSAT AND the new SHSAT. My point difference was 100 and the math was generally easier on the newer one (along with the grammar section).
    Additionally, the majority of last year's 8th graders were rejected with scores that would've allowed in acceptance in my 8th-grade year, such as 516.

Additionally, the Mayor has expanded the number of seats in the discovery program, thus increasing competition for normal seats (personally I believe that this will lead to declining quality of education in these schools, but that's a topic for another day).

The main takeaway is this: The cutoff score increases and the curve worsens, you can thank the mayor for that.

While it's true that the SHSAT has changed a number of times over the years, it's also true that it remains a very challenging test for most of the kids taking it. I would say for almost every single student While I might personally agree it's gotten easier at that same time it's hard to me to make that a universal truism, because it is not one. For instance, while some easier math questions seem to be appearing, adding for instance grammar is actually harder for some kids than before that change was made. Throw in all the other changes made to pre-k to Grade 8 standards and curriculums, even if mild ones, stir around, and here we are. So in many ways it becomes 6 of one versus half dozen of another. And for Grade 9 SHSAT takers it's even worse in my experience.

As to the cutoff scores, rejections, majorities, etc., whether the test is easier of harder, that's not how scoring works mathematically. For the most part they have remained consistent through De Blasio's mayorship and even into Bloombergs and that is probably not an accident. And there may even be an upward trend.

The increased Discovery withheld seats do have the potential to increase competition and raise cutoffs, but with so much withheld from the public, we can only speculate.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5