+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Shsat 2019

Quote Originally Posted by GregsTutoringNYC View Post
    In a nutshell: An amount of seats is pre-determined for each SHS. Once all tests have been scored (see below), they are ordered in score order. Seats are given out round robin in that score order based on your schools' list in their priority order and if no seat is available it'll go from the top down your list to find one. If your schools have no seats left you don't get one. It keeps going while there are any SHSs with seats still available.

The cutoff score is determined by the last available seat to be given out. This is so for the cutoff score for each SHS and the overall cutoff score.

Students are provided different tests so even if one truly was easy (and all are challenging) another one might not be. Two overall curves are applied. One to metabolize things across the different tests that were given out across the different days and times. Another curve is applied to normalize all the scores together to keep things distributed in a range; this is common practice in some standardized testing. (So the scores won't necessarily be statistically much higher (or lower) because they are against each other.)

Nobody knows exactly how the metabolization and normalizing occurs except for the DOE but there seems to be some wiggle room possible for some non-obvious things to occur.

In any event, that's the overall approach. Then Discovery seats come into play, but except for the percentage and some requirements very little is know how it works either.

And remember not everybody who gets an offer accepts it.
    Thank you! That was a thorough explanation! Very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by QueensMom View Post
    I don't think a cutoff is set before all seats (general category) are filled. The score of the last student(s) to get a seat is the CUTOFF score. So if they decide to take all those 5 kids, then 490 is the cutoff. Else it is 491/492/493 ... whatever was last-student-in's score. (Technically 489 has no significance)
    Yes, but then there may be extra seats. If there are 6 kids with 490 score and only 5 seats left, who gets them of the 6? I read they go the lowest number that they can fill all the seats with kids who have the same score. This is why some kids have a 1 or 2 point lower score than others and still get in.

No. None of the SHS have a specific set number of seats. They always over-enroll a little bc some kids don’t come — they go to a general hs, LaGuardia, private, etc. if you look at enrollment from year to year at a particular SHS, you’ll see some variation in the number of kids.

Quote Originally Posted by n_ycstudent View Post

also is this score conversion chart somewhat accurate ? : https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...HSAT+SCALE.pdf
    I don't believe it's accurate as it converts all the way to 57 questions when only 47 of them are graded.

How Students Get Offers to Screened Schools and the Specialized High Schools

https://vimeo.com/288797789

Will we be able to go online on Monday and get the results, does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by baseballmom View Post
    Of course they would send an ambiguous email with no more information than we already have.
    Amazing isn't it? You would have thought they would have worked extra hard at getting this out already.

Quote Originally Posted by n_ycstudent View Post
    i see. a teacher from my shsat tutoring center (a+ academy in case you were wondering) said you could easily make bk tech with a 88-90/114. i dont know if this is true though.

also is this score conversion chart somewhat accurate ? : https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...HSAT+SCALE.pdf
    That scores up to 57 so by definition it can't be accurate. That's one of the reasons I mentioned that trying to know if you got in is slippery. Even if they did the table correct including the right converted scores for 47 it's still slippery. You don't know how many you got right in each section? And it's the composite score that matters, but each section is graded (including being scaled) independently. I'm discussing this generally. But that said, you're teacher is right you would have most likely definitely got into Tech with 90 out of 114 even in the worse case scoring scenario.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

Quote Originally Posted by Mom of Smart Kid View Post
    Yes! Bill de Blaiso just announced that acceptances will be out on Monday!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nycstudent View Post
    Will it come next week on Monday? Or later on in the week.
    The DOE is still not saying.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkerReadingBoricua View Post
    The DOE is saying week of March 18 so it could be as late as March. That article doesn't say differently.

Also I think the piece misrepresented what was going on regarding the delay.

Quote Originally Posted by Mom of Smart Kid View Post
    Yes, results will be available in all places (paper, online, welcome centers, guidance counselors) simultaneously, at least that's the claim from DOE.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast