+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 89 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast
    So here's a question that's been on my mind. The kids who take this test are put on the curve only against other kids who take this test, right? And I assume most of the kids taking this test are presumed to be gifted or talented, or they wouldn't be taking the test. So the top quartile would be the top quartile of kids taking the test, not all kids in the general population. Is that right?

Yes, the test-takers are ranked in relation to the others taking the test with their birthdays taken into account. I'm not sure who qualifies as "gifted and talented"; it's such a subjective term. I think all kinds of kids take the test. Some also prep rigorously while others don't. It's a wide spectrum imo.

actually i think that's not right.
    http://nymag.com/news/intelligencer/...lented-2013-7/
    "At first glance, the system looks highly selective, but the numbers are misleading. A child who’s ranked in the 99th percentile hasn’t outperformed 99 percent of actual fellow test takers but a mathematically generated hypothetical national population. Twenty percent are in the “97th percentile”; 40 percent are in the “90th.”

they assume a normal bell shaped distribution of test results. which is why btw 25-35% of kids in nyc and sometimes close to 40-50% of district 2 kids test as "gifted", i.e. over 90th percentile.

How interesting. This article is from 2013...have the admission stats changed at all? Everyone I know whose child received a qualifying score last year got an offer at a G&T district school. Not sure about citywide, though.

http://www.originstutoring.com/blog/...d-talented-nyc NYC website took data for 2018 down, but
    i've looked at the breakdown by district and grade for 2013-2018 before and it's pretty consistent that 25-35% of nyc kids get 90% and above and around 10% get 97% or higher. nyc website also mentioned using national normal curve.

per the G&T handbook page 4, 28% of the kids in nyc tested in 2018 scored above 90th percentile
    https://www.schools.nyc.gov/docs/def...n-in-2011-2013

this isn't to make anyone feel bad if they don't score in the 90th percentile. i'm certainly one who believes that the test doesn't really test if a child is "gifted". sometimes kids have an off day, are fidgety, don't pay attention or start to day dream when the proctor is reading the verbal questions, etc.
    Last edited by TAGPARENT4TH; 03-29-2019 at 08:42 AM.

Agree. Nowadays it is more like a tutoring contest. And kids are just 4 yo. Half of them might be scared of an examiner.

Yeah...my son did very poorly last year. I don't think it was a matter of lacking in intelligence, but focusing and paying attention was (has been) very hard for him. We tried again this year...we'll see.

TIMELINE question

anyone know (if application submitted) when the offer letters are given? and is there a very short timeframe right after that for registration? We have made travel plan in June and July... Anyone has experience if one parent can register without child present? Thanks!

This is all really interesting. Thank you for the info. I feel that my kid is bright but it's hard to imagine him being in the top decile of students whose parents and teachers thought had a shot at G&T. Top decile of the general population, possibly.
    I'm from a smallish town down south and a lot of the best students from my high school ended up in NYC. So it makes sense that the children of a lot of high achievers in NYC would qualify for G&T compared to the rest of the country.

From the 2019 G&T guide, https://www.schools.nyc.gov/docs/def...issions-guide:

If you submitted a G&T application, you will get your G&T results in June 2019. These results may or may not
    include an offer for your child to attend a G&T program.