+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 92 FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 72 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jglenn_4 View Post
    The attached letter from the DOE gave us until the next day, so it was a little over 24 hours. Other parents coming off of WLs also said they received a similar time frame.
    What if you are out of town? It’s summer time. Can you take offer by email? Or by parent?

Quote Originally Posted by dongyao19860324 View Post
    What if you are out of town? It’s summer time. Can you take offer by email? Or by parent?
    Then you have to come back to register. Child must be presented to register, which is super inconvenient if you are out of town when the notice comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by JustADad View Post
    Then you have to come back to register. Child must be presented to register, which is super inconvenient if you are out of town when the notice comes in.
    I hope they're a little flexible with the deadline. We would need to make an 11 hour flight back to NYC. Not to mention how much it's going to cost for last minute tickets during peak season.

Quote Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
    I hope they're a little flexible with the deadline. We would need to make an 11 hour flight back to NYC. Not to mention how much it's going to cost for last minute tickets during peak season.
    I am sure that if this should happen, the school will hold the spot for you with the understanding that you will register once you get back. If you didnt register upon your return, they could always pass your seat along then. It really doesnt make a difference to them.

And honestly, if a school were so unreasonable that they wanted to require you to take such extreme measures, it wouldn't really be the school youd want to deal with for the next several years, right?

Quote Originally Posted by InwoodParent View Post
    I am sure that if this should happen, the school will hold the spot for you with the understanding that you will register once you get back. If you didnt register upon your return, they could always pass your seat along then. It really doesnt make a difference to them.

And honestly, if a school were so unreasonable that they wanted to require you to take such extreme measures, it wouldn't really be the school youd want to deal with for the next several years, right?

I so hope you are right! however because of the opportunity so precious, maybe all schools are like that.... really hope a final dream offer without too much drama..

So if you get a call off a waitlist, you have to show up with your child the next day? As other parents mentioned above, what if you are abroad on vacation? There’s no extension of time?

Quote Originally Posted by JustADad View Post
    As another poster said I'm sure if you want to accept and happen to be out of town, they will hold the spot for a reasonable period of time.

When do we get the offer letter ? Is it June15th or June 1st week. I am so confusing. Anyone knows please let me know

In the past few years it's been close to and/or on June 1. The DOE doesn't give hard dates except sometimes about 24 hours previous so it's always a guessing game, especially with June 1 being a Saturday this year, if indeed that's about when they're thinking.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

As one caveat to this, is the notification of a wait list opening always done by phone? Or is it phone and email? Because if you're abroad and in a different time zone, it may not be realistic to answer the call when it comes in.

And in general, if you're busy and don't answer, do they leave a VM and give you like a day (or an hour) to call them back?