+ Reply to Thread
Page 88 of 92 FirstFirst ... 38 78 86 87 88 89 90 ... LastLast
    Was it like through their diversity initiative? My son who got a 97 is in the upper 70s on the waitlist for first grade.

Might be. Did not think about it. I think it was for K though.
    BTW how have you been doing? Did you get a spot in a district g&t? 217?

Thanks for asking. No we haven't--we moved one spot down on the wait list to no. 3. Maybe after school starts? Though P.S. 150Q has kind of grown on me.

Quote Originally Posted by nanerssonne View Post
    Thanks for asking. No we haven't--we moved one spot down on the wait list to no. 3. Maybe after school starts? Though P.S. 150Q has kind of grown on me.
    I have friends in the 150Q G&T who are very happy there. Is 217 closer to you? If not, 150Q is a great program from what I’ve heard.

Thanks, ledgie1. I've heard the same thing. I just really liked 217 and the prospect of having access to D2 middle schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiall View Post
    AA said hat some kids with 97 got accepted to TAG assuming no sibling priority. Did anyone hear about it?
    Very unlikely. TAG only accepts 99 unless sibling priority.

Quote Originally Posted by kristinayn View Post
    Very unlikely. TAG only accepts 99 unless sibling priority.
    The applicant could have been one of the FRL priority group; since that's a priority for both BSI and TAG, presumably there are some 98s and 97s who get in if they also qualify for FRL (and yes, everyone gets free food now, but the income qualifier is the same for these purposes). Also, Alina Adams only knows what a parent happens to tell her.

Can anyone tell me if the test for first grade entry differs from the test for K entry? I didn't have my child tested for K but looking to possibly test for first. Researching online, I seem to get conflicting information as to whether it's the same test with the kids needing to get more correct or the content itself being more difficult.

Any information is appreciated.

Last I looked at it, there was overlap across some of it, especially in the non-verbal part but there was a lot of difference in the verbal part.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

That's very helpful to know, thank you for your response! I started prepping her last month and just now realizing I've been using the wrong (K) questions. My daughter actually does well with the verbal part, but she gets about 5-6 wrong on the non-verbal portion of the K test, which would mean she has no shot if the test for first is significantly more difficult. I am going to keep looking for sample first grade questions. Thank you again.