+ Reply to Thread
Page 83 of 83 FirstFirst ... 33 73 81 82 83
    Hi everyone. I created a Google spreadsheet where we can track waitlist positions for the 4 citywide G&T schools: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Each person interested in participating can start their own column, and whenever you get an update on your status on the waitlist, please fill in your waitlist position for the appropriate school on that appropriate date. This will allow us to observe day-by-day how the waitlists are moving. Also, as a concerned parent who is hoping/waiting to find out how these waitlists have moved in the past, I think providing such information will help parents understand their chances next year (assuming waitlists move somewhat similarly each year).

Thanks,

shmedley

I think people should specify the grade they're applying for as the wait list will likely look different at each level.

Quote Originally Posted by nanerssonne View Post
    I think people should specify the grade they're applying for as the wait list will likely look different at each level.
    Great point - added that above username - thanks!

Based on your entries, it looks like waitlists are moving already. Amazing

Quote Originally Posted by nanerssonne View Post
    Based on your entries, it looks like waitlists are moving already. Amazing
    The numbers before today were from parent coordinators. Today's numbers were from ES_Enrollment@schools.nyc.gov. But yes, since they are going down, I suspect it is catching the change already happening.

Thank you SO much. Teacher turn over was definitely something i noticed, especially since ps87s turn over is impressively low. I love the idea of the bus being a playdate! My daughter loves art and the adults in my family love programming - so those are both huge for me to hear. I love hearing from someone who is not too far "ahead" of us - much better than old reviews online! I do also see how TAG is going new places and there has been a lot of change of the last handful of years (all the while maintaining good academics). Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by skooldaze View Post
    Another parent of a TAG first-grader here. So far, we are also extremely happy with the school. The teacher we had this year is very experienced and competent, and the kids adore her. Like you, I had some reservations about the school and the commute, but the program really exceeded my expectations (in both depth and breadth) and my daughter loves it and is already complaining that she will have to wait two months to come back. There are a number of TAG families commuting from UWS (around 10?), and most kids seem to treat the bus ride as a mobile playdate. Do keep in mind that there is no bus service for the afterschool, so if you need your kids to stay there, you'd have to arrange pick up. The academics at TAG are very strong, especially ELA, but equally impressive is how well-rounded the program is -- the extended in-depth projects that ts2102 mentioned, the excellent art instruction (they have a nice art studio and the teacher is great), the new technology lab (1st graders are doing their programming and presentations in Scratch, switching to Python in a year or two), chess, Latin, music, the field trips... And at least in the lower grades, I feel like they are able to find the right balance of the program being stimulating without being overwhelming or stressful. As for drawbacks, aside from the logistical difficulties of it not being a neighborhood school (arranging playdates, volunteering/visiting school events etc.), the main one in my view is limited phys ed -- only one class per week. The kids need to run around, and while they do have outdoor recess most days and some movement/stretching in class, I wish there was more emphasis on sports/physical activity.

Also, if you have concerns about teacher turn-over (which I haven't experienced or heard of), keep in mind that our principal has been in charge of the program for 20 years and oversaw the transition of TAG from a local G&T to a citywide that has been steadily gaining in student scores and prestige, which to me indicates a measure of stability and competent administration.
    Thank you SO much. Teacher turn over was definitely something i noticed, especially since ps87s turn over is impressively low. I love the idea of the bus being a playdate! My daughter loves art and the adults in my family love programming - so those are both huge for me to hear. I love hearing from someone who is not too far "ahead" of us - much better than old reviews online! I do also see how TAG is going new places and there has been a lot of change of the last handful of years (all the while maintaining good academics). Thanks again!

Any feedback on G&T at PS 166 over Gen Ed at PS 87?

Quote Originally Posted by nyctechmama View Post
    Any feedback on G&T at PS 166 over Gen Ed at PS 87?
    I don't have a child in either programs, but have friends in both. ] I spoke with a mother with 166 kids (chose over ps 87) just the other day and I feel like the main advantages are 1) more enrichment classes (technology, dance - although that may or may not be around this year), plus the class moves at a quick pace so there is more time to delve deeper into subjects OR have time for fun, extra stuff. There's a bus too, so it might not even mean an extra walk, just a little earlier morning. I know a few kids in 166 and they are truly delightful. Very bright and full of energy. I feel that way about ps87 kids too though. It's definitely one of those "can't go wrong" situations, not that that makes the decision any easier. Good luck!