+ Reply to Thread
Page 82 of 84 FirstFirst ... 32 72 80 81 82 83 84 LastLast
    Depending on where you live in queens, there may be either a yellow school bus or a private bus used by a group of kids.

Thanks. I definitely need private bus. If some parent can carpool would be better.

hi, FYI - Anderson says you do not need to physically bring your child with you to register if they previously attended a NYC DOE school.

Quote Originally Posted by barbarasun View Post
    Thanks. I definitely need private bus. If some parent can carpool would be better.
    Are you on facebook? There are many local facebook communities (neighborhood-specific or school-specific) that have these discussions on them and you might be more likely to find someone for a carpool on it. It's likely there are private bus routes that already exist. Or you can ask at Q300 when you go to register.

Quote Originally Posted by barbarasun View Post
    Hi barbarasun, if your child might be attending Q300 in the fall, you should definitely come to the welcome breakfast at Q300 on Saturday, June 15, 10am to noon. There will be someone that can give you information about contacts for carpooling and buses.

Anyone move off a waitlist yet?

I haven't heard. I assume movement will start after the 21st when people fail to register.

Quote Originally Posted by Doxies View Post
    Got an offer to TAG for my incoming kindergarteners however we are zoned for ps87. I don't know anyone personally at TAG and everyone I know is saying go ps87 . Any insights? Ps87 is a short walk while TAG would be a bus ride, probably 25-30 minutes. I was impressed with the TAG open house but feel conflicted.
    Another parent of a TAG first-grader here. So far, we are also extremely happy with the school. The teacher we had this year is very experienced and competent, and the kids adore her. Like you, I had some reservations about the school and the commute, but the program really exceeded my expectations (in both depth and breadth) and my daughter loves it and is already complaining that she will have to wait two months to come back. There are a number of TAG families commuting from UWS (around 10?), and most kids seem to treat the bus ride as a mobile playdate. Do keep in mind that there is no bus service for the afterschool, so if you need your kids to stay there, you'd have to arrange pick up. The academics at TAG are very strong, especially ELA, but equally impressive is how well-rounded the program is -- the extended in-depth projects that ts2102 mentioned, the excellent art instruction (they have a nice art studio and the teacher is great), the new technology lab (1st graders are doing their programming and presentations in Scratch, switching to Python in a year or two), chess, Latin, music, the field trips... And at least in the lower grades, I feel like they are able to find the right balance of the program being stimulating without being overwhelming or stressful. As for drawbacks, aside from the logistical difficulties of it not being a neighborhood school (arranging playdates, volunteering/visiting school events etc.), the main one in my view is limited phys ed -- only one class per week. The kids need to run around, and while they do have outdoor recess most days and some movement/stretching in class, I wish there was more emphasis on sports/physical activity.

Also, if you have concerns about teacher turn-over (which I haven't experienced or heard of), keep in mind that our principal has been in charge of the program for 20 years and oversaw the transition of TAG from a local G&T to a citywide that has been steadily gaining in student scores and prestige, which to me indicates a measure of stability and competent administration.

Thank you. I am touching their transportation now. But it needs
    new survey to know this year situation. I am appreciate your help

Quote Originally Posted by d25prnt View Post
    Hi barbarasun, if your child might be attending Q300 in the fall, you should definitely come to the welcome breakfast at Q300 on Saturday, June 15, 10am to noon. There will be someone that can give you information about contacts for carpooling and buses.
    Thank you! I will be there!