+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45
    Quote Originally Posted by tribeca_mom View Post
    Someone please answer something for me: Based on the math, shouldn't almost ALL 97+ kids get an offer *somewhere* (D or Citywide)?

Let's take the 2017 results for example: 1,690 K test takers were 97+. There were 2,366 offers given for K spots. Based on this math, it seems like almost every 97+ should have gotten an offer either for a Citywide or a District G&T. Numbers for these categories are a similar pattern for every grade level: the # of offers far exceeds the # of 97+ test takers, which should suggest that they all got offers. Am I missing something here??? Thanks!
    Not everyone who qualifies chooses a district. Lots of folks in District 2 who dont get a citywide placement go to private school, for instance. Some people choose a local gen ed, especially people in areas with particularly good gen eds, or particularly crappy district g&ts.

Also, for district G&Ts, priority goes to in-district kids. So it is conceivable that a kid with a 97 could get shut out of citywides and the convenient spots in their district., and even if theres a nearby district with a decent G&T, it gets filled up with kids from that district who have lower scores, leaving some kids with 97s and up without a practical G&T option. I feel like there are stories posted every year about kids who that happens to.

In upper Manhattan, e.g., districts 5 and 6 historically dont have great or fully-functioning G&T programs. So a kid without a citywide placement might want to go to nearby district 3 or 10, but all the slots are taken by kids who actually live in those districts. So, in that circumstance, the kid with a 97 in district 5 or 6 might not end up in a G&T.
    Last edited by InwoodParent; Yesterday at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel.zp.csk85@gmail.com View Post
    If we don't get admitted to city wide programs, are district g&t programs the only realistic choice we have?
    You also can apply district G & T not in you own districts. Some programs have space if you can tolerate the commute.

There is going to be a Citywide G&T panel discussion and Q&A that is FREE and open to the public ‪on Monday, May 6th.‬ Titled “The Parent’s Perspective on Citywide G&T Education,” it will include a panel discussion with parents from all five Citywide G&T schools moderated by Joyce Szuflita, an independent consultant and founder of NYC School Help.*Parents from Anderson, BSI, NEST+m, TAG and The 30th Avenue School (Q300) will also be on hand to answer questions informally after the panel.

The forum is ‪Monday, May 6th from 6:30 - 8 pm‬ at P.S. 20 (‪166 Essex Street @ Houston‬ St.) - just one block from the 2nd Avenue F/M subway stop. No RSVP necessary.
    More info? Email: info@citywideschools.org

Click to view a flyer about the event:
    https://gallery.mailchimp.com/a7fca8...44e62b6d67.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by kasroberts View Post
    There is going to be a Citywide G&T panel discussion and Q&A that is FREE and open to the public ‪on Monday, May 6th.‬ Titled “The Parent’s Perspective on Citywide G&T Education,” it will include a panel discussion with parents from all five Citywide G&T schools moderated by Joyce Szuflita, an independent consultant and founder of NYC School Help.*Parents from Anderson, BSI, NEST+m, TAG and The 30th Avenue School (Q300) will also be on hand to answer questions informally after the panel.

The forum is ‪Monday, May 6th from 6:30 - 8 pm‬ at P.S. 20 (‪166 Essex Street @ Houston‬ St.) - just one block from the 2nd Avenue F/M subway stop. No RSVP necessary.
    More info? Email: info@citywideschools.org

Click to view a flyer about the event:
    https://gallery.mailchimp.com/a7fca8...44e62b6d67.jpg
    Great news. Only too bad for me as I’ll be out of town. I hope it will be recorded and shared before application deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel.zp.csk85@gmail.com View Post
    Great news. Only too bad for me as I’ll be out of town. I hope it will be recorded and shared before application deadline.
    We don’t typically record it, but we can look into it. We will post the handouts that are given out here: citywideschools.org.

What makes a G&T program good or crappy? What does the so-called enrichment consist of exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by kasroberts View Post
    We don’t typically record it, but we can look into it. We will post the handouts that are given out here: citywideschools.org.
    Thanks. That will definitely help.