+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Prep for Prep

Quote Originally Posted by Stuy2013 View Post
    It is interesting to know the attrition rate is that high. Something I can not image given 3 levels screening and IQ test included.
    You know how you think you want to work for a certain company? You research them, send them your resume, and you go through the 3 to 5 interview process, they do a background check on you, and you negotiate a salary that you're happy with - then you discover you don't want to be there?

The company spent thousands of dollars on a headhunter and many man hours picking you out thinking you were the right person but I don't think any of us will really know until we're thick in the middle of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    I don't know, many Asian kids go through the same thing to get into Specialized High Schools. I wish that we could just acknowledge that many people don't think the Prep for Prep schools or the Specialized High Schools are worth the human cost. This is a problem with all of the rhetoric around the idea that these are the best schools and that the admissions process is racist. If some people want to kill themselves to go to them that's their thing and their choice. It's not mine and I don't buy into the idea that these places are worth it.
    It's not for everybody. I went to a SHS. There was no human cost. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I loved it. I can't imagine my life without having done so. The problem is when there is a mismatch. Another problem is disoriented and overzealous parents especially when they don't involve their child in the choice. That's the good aspect of the vetting process which IMO should be even stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by QueensMom View Post
    Does this test and interview happens when child is in 5th or 6th grade ? Are there any specific books to prep for "prep for prep" ! ( Sorry complete noobie to this ..haven't started my research)
    Yes, 5th grader applicants can enter 7th grade and 6th graders can enter 8th grade after a 14 month prep course.

There is no prep for prep prep books that I'm aware of. Generally the child should be in the 90% percentile and above+ across the board. The point of the prep in all these programs is to be prepared, so it's not just smarts, but being able to keep up. Generally you'll know as the child will already be accelerated naturally, express such interests on their own accord, etc. but also have certain coursework already under their belts.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanist View Post
    The I.Q test is a one on one 90 minute quiz on memory, puzzle-solving, and mathematics. You will have to memorize a sequence of numbers and say it backwards, and find which numbers fit into a certain pattern. You will also receive 4 cubes, each face with 2 colors with a diagonal line through them; white and orange on each side of this line. With these you need to make certain patterns, each one harder than the next.
    What is the minimum IQ score to be admitted to the Prep (per your estimate)? What does it mean if a child went thru 180 minute quiz?

The first level vetting process is basically where you are in the 90th+ percentile. The exam and your provided report card scores is the second level vetting process. If you meet their cutoff formula you get to the next level which is to consider that along with your needs and your diversity background. Then you get an interview and IQ test. It's in the child's best interest to be familiar with an IQ test but not necessarily study for one. IIRC don't think they release that number.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

Quote Originally Posted by Stuy2013 View Post
    What is the minimum IQ score to be admitted to the Prep (per your estimate)? What does it mean if a child went thru 180 minute quiz?
    I don't think the score is something they share with you, personally I don't take too much stock on the IQ score. Your child will sit with an adviser who administers the test and picks your child's brain. It's not done in a group setting.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm surprised that there isn't more on this board being posted about Prep for Prep.

I am somewhat familiar with the program since my sister participated in it a very long time ago for Contingent III! As you mentioned, she also remembers it being very intense, but acknowledges to this day that the 14-months was so worth it and gave her opportunities that she would not have otherwise been able to have.

How well has your child been able to juggle the Wednesday/Saturday classes and workload during the school year?

I am a Prep for Prep Alum, my best man was one also, and my wife is too. It was single handedly the greatest and most challenging thing I ever did for my life. It is very true that they go overboard with the preparation but that is to make everything after much easier. Prep is also a massive family and support network that will be with you the rest of your life, and are always there when you need them, whenever in your life that may be. Ask me any question...

Thanks for your feedback. Was there any part of the program that you regretted? Did you feel like you missed out on any part of your childhood while going through the rigorous 14 month program? Lastly, are they as strict as they say with regards to the attendance policy?

Was there any part of the program that you regretted?
    - No, not really. Once you get over the fact that is A LOT of work, it was one of the most positive experiences I have ever had. To be surrounded by other students of color who all think on your wave length, and get deeply interested on topics that may not interest most people, was unbelievably supportive. How often have you seen a group of 12 year old kids eating McDonalds fries (when they were still good) on the way home, on the train, arguing over themes in Great Expectations or comparing Chaucer to hip hop. The work is difficult but they give you A LOT of support.

Did you feel like you missed out on any part of your childhood while going through the rigorous 14 month program?
    - This is difficult to answer, for me, because I didnt really do much outside of school to begin with. My parents were far from wealthy. We did not eat out. We did not visit amusement parks outside of the rare trip to Coney Island. I was not in any summer camp or even a sport team growing up because we just didnt have the money. It was basically playing out in the street in front of the house, or reading books from the library. Prep actually challenged me and kept me firing on all cylinders. It saved me from boredom. I still got to play with the kids from the hood. I still went to the library. But now I also had a bunch of fascinating information to keep me busy. Instead of sitting in front of a TV or playing catch outside, I was studying. I wasn't in love with everything I was studying but I understood why I was doing it. There were times I had to say no to this or that because I had to read x amount of pages for class or what not, but those moments were never frequent enough that I can say I even remember them. Now I had a great childhood, parents who loved me, and did the best they could with what they had. Those 14 months added to it being a great childood, it didnt take anything away. Many of the friends I made in my contingent are still my very close friends to this day ( i dont mean like 2 or 3, I mean like dozens), and there is something to say about a group of kids that all went through the same 14 month process and stayed in contact all through adulthood. Prep is a massive family. I sometimes kid that we are a secret society of highly trained and accomplished minorities ready to take over the world, but there is truth in jest. Let me make something clear though, its not all work. We have fun. There are field trips, down time, time to just bond with your fellow classmates. Though the work is hard, it is not militaristic. What they say is true, Prep prepares you heavily. Private school was effectively a joke, we went in there with more tools than batman and the support of the justice league. Mind you, I was no where near the best student in the program and I still felt like that.

Lastly, are they as strict as they say with regards to the attendance policy?
    - They are strict, but its is because we move fast, very fast. So missing too many days will but you signifigantly behind. Where as a regular school will read like 1 or 2 books a semester, we are reading like 6-8 in two months. Books above our grade level.

please ask me anything else you would like to know.

Although I did not do Prep for Prep, some of my own experiences are similar to yours and ones I very much cherish. Therefore, I am reading your response with a smile on my face. Kudos sir, kudos.