+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Prep for Prep

Quote Originally Posted by Stuy2013 View Post
    It is interesting to know the attrition rate is that high. Something I can not image given 3 levels screening and IQ test included.
    You know how you think you want to work for a certain company? You research them, send them your resume, and you go through the 3 to 5 interview process, they do a background check on you, and you negotiate a salary that you're happy with - then you discover you don't want to be there?

The company spent thousands of dollars on a headhunter and many man hours picking you out thinking you were the right person but I don't think any of us will really know until we're thick in the middle of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    I don't know, many Asian kids go through the same thing to get into Specialized High Schools. I wish that we could just acknowledge that many people don't think the Prep for Prep schools or the Specialized High Schools are worth the human cost. This is a problem with all of the rhetoric around the idea that these are the best schools and that the admissions process is racist. If some people want to kill themselves to go to them that's their thing and their choice. It's not mine and I don't buy into the idea that these places are worth it.
    It's not for everybody. I went to a SHS. There was no human cost. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I loved it. I can't imagine my life without having done so. The problem is when there is a mismatch. Another problem is disoriented and overzealous parents especially when they don't involve their child in the choice. That's the good aspect of the vetting process which IMO should be even stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by QueensMom View Post
    Does this test and interview happens when child is in 5th or 6th grade ? Are there any specific books to prep for "prep for prep" ! ( Sorry complete noobie to this ..haven't started my research)
    Yes, 5th grader applicants can enter 7th grade and 6th graders can enter 8th grade after a 14 month prep course.

There is no prep for prep prep books that I'm aware of. Generally the child should be in the 90% percentile and above+ across the board. The point of the prep in all these programs is to be prepared, so it's not just smarts, but being able to keep up. Generally you'll know as the child will already be accelerated naturally, express such interests on their own accord, etc. but also have certain coursework already under their belts.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanist View Post
    The I.Q test is a one on one 90 minute quiz on memory, puzzle-solving, and mathematics. You will have to memorize a sequence of numbers and say it backwards, and find which numbers fit into a certain pattern. You will also receive 4 cubes, each face with 2 colors with a diagonal line through them; white and orange on each side of this line. With these you need to make certain patterns, each one harder than the next.
    What is the minimum IQ score to be admitted to the Prep (per your estimate)? What does it mean if a child went thru 180 minute quiz?

The first level vetting process is basically where you are in the 90th+ percentile. The exam and your provided report card scores is the second level vetting process. If you meet their cutoff formula you get to the next level which is to consider that along with your needs and your diversity background. Then you get an interview and IQ test. It's in the child's best interest to be familiar with an IQ test but not necessarily study for one. IIRC don't think they release that number.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

Quote Originally Posted by Stuy2013 View Post
    What is the minimum IQ score to be admitted to the Prep (per your estimate)? What does it mean if a child went thru 180 minute quiz?
    I don't think the score is something they share with you, personally I don't take too much stock on the IQ score. Your child will sit with an adviser who administers the test and picks your child's brain. It's not done in a group setting.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm surprised that there isn't more on this board being posted about Prep for Prep.

I am somewhat familiar with the program since my sister participated in it a very long time ago for Contingent III! As you mentioned, she also remembers it being very intense, but acknowledges to this day that the 14-months was so worth it and gave her opportunities that she would not have otherwise been able to have.

How well has your child been able to juggle the Wednesday/Saturday classes and workload during the school year?

I am a Prep for Prep Alum, my best man was one also, and my wife is too. It was single handedly the greatest and most challenging thing I ever did for my life. It is very true that they go overboard with the preparation but that is to make everything after much easier. Prep is also a massive family and support network that will be with you the rest of your life, and are always there when you need them, whenever in your life that may be. Ask me any question...