+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Prep for Prep

Prep for Prep

Anyone have any insight on the program and on the IQ portion of the test?

The I.Q test is a one on one 90 minute quiz on memory, puzzle-solving, and mathematics. You will have to memorize a sequence of numbers and say it backwards, and find which numbers fit into a certain pattern. You will also receive 4 cubes, each face with 2 colors with a diagonal line through them; white and orange on each side of this line. With these you need to make certain patterns, each one harder than the next.

Some tips:

Seem engaged and be friendly to your proctor
    Don't get mad if you run out of time on a problem
    Dress in nice clothes (make a good first impression)
    Take practice I.Q tests beforehand so you know the feeling of what it's like

That's all I should say.

Good luck!

Mechanist, thank you for the helpful information. Do you have experience with your child, or did you go through the Prep for Prep process yourself? My child went for the interview today, which is the final part of the screening process. Now all we can do is wait. It's nerve wracking!

Do you have any insight about the actual 14 month program?

My child is in the program. If your child gets in, my only advice is to persevere. It will be difficult for sure and the attrition rate was roughly 20% even deep into the program. In some cases the child was asked to leave and in other cases the child dropped out on his own.

Its a big ask for a child to go to school 9-5 all summer and then do 3 hours of homework every night. It takes a certain type of personality not necessarily smarts.

My big takeaway from this was the kids that are successful are the ones best with time management (which they stress and teach but not all kids take to it).
    The ones that tend to drop out are the kids with many 'unprepared'. Starting today, write in a daily planner to get 'prepped'.

Good luck, hope you child makes it. In the end it is worth it especially if your child is happy and thrives. They have to want it.

It is interesting to know the attrition rate is that high. Something I can not image given 3 levels screening and IQ test included.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuy2013 View Post
    It is interesting to know the attrition rate is that high. Something I can not image given 3 levels screening and IQ test included.
    What if the attrition isn't because the kids aren't up to the challenge, but because it is an insane and dehumanizing process they are being put through to prove they are worthy of going to high school with white wealthy children?

Quote Originally Posted by FancyBookLearnin View Post
    What if the attrition isn't because the kids aren't up to the challenge, but because it is an insane and dehumanizing process they are being put through to prove they are worthy of going to high school with white wealthy children?
    I don't know, many Asian kids go through the same thing to get into Specialized High Schools. I wish that we could just acknowledge that many people don't think the Prep for Prep schools or the Specialized High Schools are worth the human cost. This is a problem with all of the rhetoric around the idea that these are the best schools and that the admissions process is racist. If some people want to kill themselves to go to them that's their thing and their choice. It's not mine and I don't buy into the idea that these places are worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanist View Post
    The I.Q test is a one on one 90 minute quiz on memory, puzzle-solving, and mathematics. You will have to memorize a sequence of numbers and say it backwards, and find which numbers fit into a certain pattern. You will also receive 4 cubes, each face with 2 colors with a diagonal line through them; white and orange on each side of this line. With these you need to make certain patterns, each one harder than the next.

Some tips:

Seem engaged and be friendly to your proctor
    Don't get mad if you run out of time on a problem
    Dress in nice clothes (make a good first impression)
    Take practice I.Q tests beforehand so you know the feeling of what it's like

That's all I should say.

Good luck!
    Does this test and interview happens when child is in 5th or 6th grade ? Are there any specific books to prep for "prep for prep" ! ( Sorry complete noobie to this ..haven't started my research)
    Last edited by QueensMom; 04-01-2019 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Adding

I don't think any test prep material can prepare you for it. It's done around this time of year during the 5th grade.

"Does this test and interview happens when child is in 5th or 6th grade ? Are there any specific books to prep for "prep for prep" ! ( Sorry complete noobie to this ..haven't started my research)"

Quote Originally Posted by FancyBookLearnin View Post
    It's like asking an adult to have two full time jobs and excel at both of them. Some people will never want to do it and others will, it depends on the person and the perceived reward. Every child will want to quit, multiple times. That's why they have alumni come back and speak to the parents and their kids about their own experiences. Ultimately if you don't want it you will drop out or be asked to leave due to performance. You just can't keep up with the pace and workload if your desire isn't there, the program weeds those out. I mentioned it before but it doesn't necessarily reward the MOST intelligent. You have to have a unique set of attributes to go this long and hard. The program and alumni often stress, when the kids are placed in their day schools, they will be at the top of their class. The work was so intense when they go into 7th grade at Chapin or Dalton...wherever - it will seem easy. Believe it.

Obviously, the program does this so their kids don't lag behind. Alumni have come back and said Yale was easy compared to P4P.