+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Townsend Harris

Townsend Harris

Hi,
    If you got in what were you stats. My daughter had a 97 gpa and perfect score on reading ELA and 4.39 Math. She received a spot. If your child is there now, what are your tips?

Christina

Quote Originally Posted by Christinad25 View Post
    Hi,
    If you got in what were you stats. My daughter had a 97 gpa and perfect score on reading ELA and 4.39 Math. She received a spot. If your child is there now, what are your tips?

Christina
    interesting topic, My daughter is only 5, but i'm looking forward to prep her for this school! beside on excellence GPA what short of other things will factor the admission? does extra talent helps?

Congratulations on your acceptance!

My daughter was accepted to THHS too, which is her first choice even over the popularly known Stuyvesant (She got into Brooklyn Tech, and her 'excuse' was that she spent too much time on the ELA which is her strength, smh).

Anyways, her state exam was 4.22 on ELA and perfect on the Math in 7th grade. Her unweighted gpa is 98.7 and weighted is almost 103. She is consistently rank 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place based on gpa when she was in 7th grade among about 300 students in her grade and the similarily so far in 8th grade. Also, her attendance for 6,7,8 grade are near perfect (1 or 2 absences over 3 years).

Those three things, state exams, gpa and attendance/punctuality are what they look for, for those who wants to know more about the Townsend Harris HS admission criteria.

My daughter was accepted by THHS this year. Her 7th grade GPA was 99, and her ELA state test 4.42, Math state test perfect score 4.5 with full attendance since 6th grade to now. Her SHSAT scored 603 into Bronx Science, her first choice. We chose THHS over BX science because of logistics and less competition.
    THHS admission looks into 7th grade report card, State test, and attendance.

They look at attendance/punctuality for all the years ? 6, 7, 8 for admission into 9th ? What is the reason for THHS being 60/65% girls versus far lower boys % ?
    Last edited by QueensMom; 04-07-2019 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Added Q

Quote Originally Posted by QueensMom View Post
    They look at attendance/punctuality for all the years ? 6, 7, 8 for admission into 9th ? What is the reason for THHS being 60/65% girls versus far lower boys % ?
    I'm not sure if they just look at only 7th grade which is the most important grade for getting into any screen schools, but I'm sure they probably got your whole middle school transcript in the database so maybe might make or break those borderline candidates.. As for the ratio is actually more like 65-70% to 35-30% female to males.. probably because it's known to be a humanities school while those top specialized highs are technical schools which can attract more boys. (those are all close to 60% male to 40% female). Or maybe that girls are just ... smarter and diligent? LOL (semi-joking.. but hey I mean , if you noticed all who got accepted to THHS on this board in this forum and also to a specialized high are girls so far).

all screen high schools look only at 7th grade report cards, attendance and test scores (+ whatever other criteria each one has)> go to the schools web site for the specific rubric and % breakdown between each component.