+ Reply to Thread

Hunter vs Bronx Science

My son, who attends Hunter College High School, has just been offered a place at Bronx Science. He's more interested in making the move than I expected. Any thoughts?

Since by June he'll already be in Hunter for at least two years, he'll have a great background, and he can't loose in either. What's his thoughts about it? Does he just want change of scenery? Something in particular of interest?
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

Just curious, since Hunter College High School students did not take Reagent exams, what happened if they transfer out to specialized high school? Do they have to retake Algebra I for example ?

Well, to back up a little, if I were a Hunter student considering a transfer to a SHS, I would probably also consider taking the Regents while at Hunter. Might be some grumbles, but I'd be certain that can be arranged.

That said, the second thing is that remember there is various diplomas NYS, NYS Regents Diploma, NYS Advanced Regents Diploma, and a kind of one-off but also a SHS one (for instance, a Tech diploma), each with their own requirements. I mention this because a Hunter transfer kid might be able to pull off not taking the Algebra Regents and still walk away with an advanced Regents diploma, especially with recent modifications that were made regarding the requirements of NYS HS diplomas.

That said, waivers are always possible. Often red tape behind them, and often intimating toward the student, but still possible. And a thought too, I'm fairly certain that a kid can still take the Regents without the class in all cases, so I'm fairly certain that waivers go both ways (IOWs, maybe taking an AP algebra class and getting permission to take the Algebra Regents at the same time).

Lastly, try to get some sort of official word about this on paper. There's nothing like being told something by a clerk today and a year+ later being told we don't know what you're talking about. Similarly, there's nothing like being told it's impossible when it can be.

I'm curious, a Hunter College High School student would have had to already have been there for over two years to consider the Grade 9 SHSAT, what advantage would there be to switching at that point (3 years later at the transfer point)?
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

My DD is going to Hunter College High School next year, and I hope she stays until finish high school. It really just a curious question.
    @GregsTiutoringNYC thank you for your thoroughly answer.

I have a bunch of my students going to Hunter. I really enjoy tutoring for the entrance exam; it's always a real lot of fun working with the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by SuChef View Post
    My son, who attends Hunter College High School, has just been offered a place at Bronx Science. He's more interested in making the move than I expected. Any thoughts?
    Did your son make the move? If he did, what did he find unsatisfactory about Hunter? I also have an 8th grader at Hunter, so I'm just curious.

FYI Stork, here is NYS diploma requirements: https://www.schools.nyc.gov/school-l...n-requirements

Quote Originally Posted by GregsTutoringNYC View Post
    FYI Stork, here is NYS diploma requirements: https://www.schools.nyc.gov/school-l...n-requirements
    I found out that you could take AP, IB or SAT subject test as alternative of Reagents Diploma.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Stork; 06-05-2019 at 08:07 PM.