+ Reply to Thread

Do Kaplan classes prepare students well for the SHSAT?

I've signed up for a Kaplan course for my 7th grader for the fall 2019 SHSAT. Does Kaplan provide good preparation for the test? If not, could anyone recommend a better program? By the time I heard about School Plus its classes already had started.

(As an aside, my son is somewhat advanced in math--he's passed the Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II regents exams with 90+ scores and currently is in Calculus AP class.)

Anyway, thank you!

Wow that is great, what school is he in that he is able to take those classes. He will be able to Ace the math section, if you master one subject it boosts your score.

Thank you. I just want to make sure he's as prepared as he can be.

He is in Petrides, which is k-12. He got in by lottery in 5th grade; at that time I told them that he needed to be in Algebra I. Of course they were skeptical. But he has a way of convincing people. They gave him a proficiency test and moved him into Algebra. He's routinely graded 98+ in those classes.

All I did was get him in kindergarten to start doing the math faster than they assigned it. Over the years he did a lot of independent study. In 4th grade he did the entire Mark Twain 6-8 curriculum. It used to amaze me that he actually understood what he was doing; but really it just was training.

Now I'm trying to convince Wagner or CSI to let him take college math next year. I don't care about the credits. I just don't want him to atrophy for a year until he can (presumably) get into a specialized school.

His sister is doing the same thing; in 3rd grade she's doing great in 5th grade math and has started Mark Twain's 6th grade curriculum independently.

I can't praise the staff and teachers at Petrides nearly enough. They have bent over backwards to work with our children. But sadly the school's running out of resources for them.

wow - what middle school is he in that he is in AP calc? honestly if the child is that far ahead in math, you may be better off taking practice tests and seeing if needs any help with ELA (tutor?)

I have heard Kaplan is too easy.
    A+ Academy (bensonhurst, dyker) is excellent for summer/fall. Their 7th grade class is common core, with the advanced class doing some SHSAT towards end of spring semester. My 9th grader did summer / fall after 7th with great results but its intense with a lot of homework since you have to learn all the material over the summer.
    Chang Learning Center (bensonhurst) is also very popular and good. I have my 7th grader there now since Sept since the class is all SHSAT topics and practice tests for the Fall/Spring class. We are happy and she has done well on practice SHSAT tests - stretching the learning of new material over the year.
    Khan's Tutorial I hear is very good as well - but that is in windsor terrace and queens i think.
    SchoolPlus has a summer program - weekly practice test/review.

Wow that is amazing and says a lot about the admin at Petrides ! You may want to reach out to the SHS you are interested to confirm what they could offer for your unique situation and still meet the DOE requirements for graduation (certain # of math credits needed in HS, etc.). Will they allow a freshman to take AP Calc or college courses (for example the SHS have relationships with colleges where students can take classes).

If he's already done Algebra I and to a much lesser extent Geometry, he definitely has covered all the topics necessary for the math part of the SHSAT. It's down to familiarity, and test taking skills perhaps then. Don't discount the English part too though.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

Quote Originally Posted by mushpuppy View Post
    .... he did a lot of independent study. In 4th grade he did the entire Mark Twain 6-8 curriculum. It used to amaze me that he actually understood what he was doing; but really it just was training.

Now I'm trying to convince Wagner or CSI to let him take college math next year. I don't care about the credits. I just don't want him to atrophy for a year until he can (presumably) get into a specialized school.
    This indicates that even a SHS might not be for him. Has he audited any college classes say over winter or summer breaks?
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

How could i get a copy of the 6th grade math and science curriculum for Bay Academy? any help is appreciated. Thanks.