+ Reply to Thread

Beacon or Brooklyn Tech?

My son is into Math and Science.
    He got offers from Beacon and Brooklyn Tech, both are a similar commute for him.

Which is a stronger school in terms of academics?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dollynyc View Post
    He got offers from Beacon and Brooklyn Tech, both are a similar commute for him.

Thanks!
    In my opinion I would choose Brooklyn Technical High School, because 1)Brooklyn Tech offers much more Ap courses. 2)There is much more opportunities such as majors at Brooklyn Tech 3)The School is was huge and had lot of people (which I like but I don’t know about everyone else tho) Well Congrats for your son! I need to retake the shsat. ALSO:Brooklyn Tech has a much stronger academics in my opinion.

I shouldn’t base an entire school based on a few incidents but...

1. Btech got their bathroom trash can lit on fire a couple of weeks ago. Not the first offense either. Previous were desks on the ceilings of the bathroom, pineapples and bananas in the stalls, and etc.
    2. There is an active thing going on called the Me Too Brooklyn Tech. It’s led by 3(?) Freshmen who want the school to do something about sexual harassments. I even know of one where a guy was touching girls butts and he got beat up.

Take what I said as you will...

Even though Brooklyn Tech does offer a lot of AP courses and clubs/activities, I personally would not go if I had another option. A lot of ap courses are considered college level classes but they don’t give you college credit. Clubs/activities are kind of useless too unless you have leadership roles in which that case, you get National Honor Society leadership hours.

I can’t really comment on Beacon because I’m not very familiar with it.

Quote Originally Posted by fufu_ice View Post

1. Btech got their bathroom trash can lit on fire a couple of weeks ago. Not the first offense either. Previous were desks on the ceilings of the bathroom, pineapples and bananas in the stalls, and etc.
    2. There is an active thing going on called the Me Too Brooklyn Tech. It’s led by 3(?) Freshmen who want the school to do something about sexual harassments. I even know of one where a guy was touching girls butts and he got beat up.

Take what I said as you will...

Even though Brooklyn Tech does offer a lot of AP courses and clubs/activities, I personally would not go if I had another option. A lot of ap courses are considered college level classes but they don’t give you college credit. Clubs/activities are kind of useless too unless you have leadership roles in which that case, you get National Honor Society leadership hours.

I can’t really comment on Beacon because I’m not very familiar with it.
    Regrading the first one...

Supposably, it was lly a form of protest. The school shut down all boys bathroom to combat juuling (cuz it worked so well for bx sci...*sarcasm*) except one in the first floor which can only fit like what 6 people. So some madlad wanted to show his disapproval by litting a trashcan on fire. Oh well that's what the rumor said. Sure its prob just bs justification but *i guess it did work* cuz the school reopened all bathrooms within in a week. Pineapples and apples were harmless pranks that happens in every school. Yh I saw the desk thing. I still don't get how the kids were able to carry an idea desk and hang on the ceiling without any teacher catching them but ok....

Thanks!
    Depends..if u want math and sci and stem related stuff...prob tech. If u want more art based..mostly like Beacon. But I'm not that familiar with the school.

Thanks!
    Oh yh and brooklyn tech is close to Barclays. Meaning that there's a chance you can meet D'angelo russell or even Joe Harris. Thats already pretty good imo

Quote Originally Posted by fufu_ice View Post
    Tech has always had these kinds on incidents, as has many of them, take your pick. My perspective is what is your child looking for? Work from there first.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)