+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fufu_ice View Post
    423 is not enough for Discovery. It’s way too low for all of the SHS and depending on what school you put first, that matters too. If you put Stuy first and you don’t have like a 500, don’t expect to be in discovery. Last year for SIT, it was around 470-475 for discovery and 525ish for shsat so take it as you will. It might be a little lower overall this year though because they need a lot more kids. Either way, I don’t think 423 is going to cut it but best of lucks to you!
    Hey fufu I have a question, I ranked my schools 1. Stuy 2. Brooklyn tech 3. Brooklyn Latin, my cutoff was 469 and I go to a high poverty school and I heard 469-471 was qualified for Latin discovery. So here’s my question Since all students get free lunch no matter what your income is, my parents have high income so if I qualify for 2/3 of the requirements can they still take me? I decided to reply to you because I’ve seen you on the previous 2018 discovery threads so yea hope you reply

Quote Originally Posted by anafshah View Post
    Yes, I recieve free lunch so I'm low income and last year two people from my school went to discovery so my school should be at 60% ENI.

I’m pretty sure free lunch is for all nyc students now so...

Quote Originally Posted by siambhuiyan14 View Post
    Hey fufu I have a question, I ranked my schools 1. Stuy 2. Brooklyn tech 3. Brooklyn Latin, my cutoff was 469 and I go to a high poverty school and I heard 469-471 was qualified for Latin discovery. So here’s my question Since all students get free lunch no matter what your income is, my parents have high income so if I qualify for 2/3 of the requirements can they still take me? I decided to reply to you because I’ve seen you on the previous 2018 discovery threads so yea hope you reply
    To be completely honest, I don’t think you qualify if you meet only 2/3 of the requirements. The point of the program, or as they say, is to cater to low income families and the “disadvantaged.”

Discovery is for disadvantaged students so as you have high income unless you are an English Language Learner only recently in NYC you don't qualify.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

Quote Originally Posted by GregsTutoringNYC View Post
    Discovery is for disadvantaged students so as you have high income unless you are an English Language Learner only recently in NYC you don't qualify.
    Before I full claim that I am 100% high income, nyc made lunches free for all student students no matter if they’re wealthy or not right because I get free lunch in school and I’ve had it ever since I joined school

What if I don’t pay for lunch does that mean I’m not high income because I heard nyc made lunch free for all nyc students

Free lunches are provided as part of a city-wide initiative and no longer as individual social services. IOWs yes lunches are free to all students. However, you're still wanted to send in a lunch form so NYC and in particular the right schools can received the right funding for it. That said, I believe free lunch has been distanced as a measure of economic disadvantedness for various means including in cases where it use to be used for some of those things.

Another way to state this is that getting free lunch is different from qualifying for it.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

BTW, last year Discovery offers went out mid-May.
    Which Bobby-Tariq center would u recommend?

If every student now has free lunch, how would the DOE qualify you as low income or not?
    Last edited by shirleyzhao; 03-23-2019 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iiNewbie View Post
    Which Bobby-Tariq center would u recommend?
    You should check the reviews/ratings for each of them. Apparently, Jackson Heights has an average of 4.8 stars, while the Jamaica version has 5 stars. You should find out why Jackson Heights is off by .2 by reading the reviews.
    Last edited by shirleyzhao; 03-24-2019 at 07:15 AM.