+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shirleyzhao View Post
    If every student now has free lunch, how would the DOE qualify you as low income or not?
    You are still supposed to be filling out the lunch forms. I'm fuzzy right now if that data used for this though and if not you must obviously be providing something to the guidance counselor or welcome center.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

Quote Originally Posted by GregsTutoringNYC View Post
    You are still supposed to be filling out the lunch forms. I'm fuzzy right now if that data used for this though and if not you must obviously be providing something to the guidance counselor or welcome center.
    Bump.... so I asked my mom if she signed any lunch papers or surveys as such and she said no. Bruh we need more info on the he discovery program the qualifications are to vague

Indeed as is often the case the DOE purposely withholds information. That said, here's how I look at it. Even if you filled out your lunch form and handed it in, if it were me and I wanted the opportunity, I'd be at the guidance counselor first thing in the morning making sure they have everything they need given papers can get lost, people can be incompetent, etc.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

What is your non-SHS offer, shirleyzhao?

If I’m a freshmen at a H.S. And I decide to apply to a different H.S. for sophomore what grade would they look at?

Quote Originally Posted by 8thgradestudent View Post
    What is your non-SHS offer, shirleyzhao?
    I was put in a zoned school, Franklin Delano Roosevelt. None of my high schools had accepted me, even though I met the requirements.

I need someone's opinion on my theory of something happening to my applications on January, which I think could've affected where I was placed on the high school lists. My guidance counselor told me and a couple of other kids to reorder our applications on January 4, 19 days after they were actually due citywide. This meant we had to unsubmit and then resubmit our applications, so I think we were put at the bottom of the list for every high school we applied for. Fast forward a couple of weeks and all of us had been put high schools we did not want. My friend spoke to the guidance counselor about this with her mom and he said that reordering the applications had nothing to do with us getting a bad school. Then she spoke to the parent teacher coordinator at my school, and she thinks there was something up with it. She doesn't trust our guidance counselor, and honestly, neither do I. He hasn't been great help with guiding me through the second round/appealing; always giving students very vague information on how things are done.

I'm doing second round but there's no good high schools, other than NYC Museum. I also heard about appealing, but the chances of getting accepted by that is very, very low. Does anyone know the process of appealing?
    Last edited by shirleyzhao; 03-24-2019 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by siambhuiyan14 View Post
    If Iím a freshmen at a H.S. And I decide to apply to a different H.S. for sophomore what grade would they look at?

They look at your 8th grade report cards. Are they good?

Quote Originally Posted by siambhuiyan14 View Post
    Bump.... so I asked my mom if she signed any lunch papers or surveys as such and she said no. Bruh we need more info on the he discovery program the qualifications are to vague
    So the qualifications in the 2018-19 handbook are:

1 . have scored within a certain range below the qualifying score on the SHSAT . Eligible scores will vary from year to
    year and will be based on seat availability; and
    2 . have listed one of the Specialized High Schools that plans to host a 2019 Discovery Program as among the choices on their 2018 SHSAT answer sheet; and
    3 . be certified as disadvantaged by their current school; and
    4. be recommended by their current school as having high potential for the Specialized High School program.

The qualifications in the DOE website are:

a) a student from a low-income household, a student in temporary housing, or an English Language Learner who moved to NYC within the past four years; and
    b) Have scored within a certain range below the cutoff score on the SHSAT; and
    c) Attend a high-poverty school. A school is defined as high-poverty if it has an Economic Need Index of at least 60%. You can see a school’s historical ENI by visiting the School Performance Dashboard (https://tools.nycenet.edu/dashboard) and selecting the school from the list.

I don't understand why the handbook has two more requirement than what the DOE says.
    I'll try to explain the best I can, but I'm also struggling to learn about the Discovery Program due to how complicated everything is.
    The Discovery Program is based on the score you have, whether you're low income or not, if you attend a high poverty school, and the recommendations from your school. The reason why they want low income students and students attending high poverty schools is because most Hispanics and Blacks fall under this category.
    Moving on, for the 2019 Discovery Program, they haven't released the eligible scores for the summer course. Last year it was 469-481 for Brooklyn Tech. I heard the seats this year would be more than last year's (275?), so the cutoff scores this year should be at least less than last year's. I could be wrong on this information, but it's what some people are saying.
    Hopefully, the school you applied for first wasn't Stuyvesant, or a school that support the program. Stuyvesant requires at least a 500 to get into the program.
    Being certified as disadvantaged either means you are low income, have temporary housing or someone who has been learning English the past four years (a foreigner basically). To prove you are low income, according to GregsTutoringNYC, it's the lunch forms given to you online and through school. You can sign up in https://www.myschoolapps.com. There are choices of benefits, such as SNAP, FDPIR and TANF. These are what the program is looking for when they go through your lunch form. SNAP, FDPIR, and TANF is the government providing you money to buy the basic necessities for your family. I could be wrong though.
    Has anyone in your school been offered a chance to get into the program? If so, that means you can cross off that requirement.
    For recommendations, I think it's after you are given the chance that you get signatures from your guidance counselors/teachers/principals to prove you are someone who will work hard to get into a SHS.
    I hope this clarifies some things.
    Last edited by shirleyzhao; 03-24-2019 at 10:54 AM.

The handbook is out of date because it was printed before DOE rolled out the changes to Discovery. The guidance on the DOE website is accurate and currently in effect.

Discovery traditionally was 5% of seats (and Stuy, Bx Sci only started participating - they have not for at least 20 years). This year I believe its 13% and next year it will go to the full 20% - this year about 528 seats are reserved for Discovery citywide. <<<<<I have not seen this on a DOE site, but from a news article)

The Discovery program was always about low income/disadvantaged students per the handbook guidelines. Once you met the qualification criteria, the school guidance counselor would recommend the student for Discovery (it is not an automatic invite).

However, starting this year the income status of the individual student is not sufficient to qualify for Discovery. The student must now ALSO attend a school classified as ENI (a NYC specific factor) of 60% or above. Look up your school on this site (https://tools.nycenet.edu/dashboard) to determine if they are permitted to send students to Discovery.

What this means >>> if you are a student as a school like McAuliffe/IS187 - even if you live subsidized housing, qualify for free lunch, receive SNAP, TANF, etc. you are no longer eligible for Discovery as the school ENI is only 57%. Hence the lawsuit.

Students are not invited to discover until later - like May.

Quote Originally Posted by shirleyzhao View Post
    So the qualifications in the 2018-19 handbook are:

1 . have scored within a certain range below the qualifying score on the SHSAT . Eligible scores will vary from year to
    year and will be based on seat availability; and
    2 . have listed one of the Specialized High Schools that plans to host a 2019 Discovery Program as among the choices on their 2018 SHSAT answer sheet; and
    3 . be certified as disadvantaged by their current school; and
    4. be recommended by their current school as having high potential for the Specialized High School program.

The qualifications in the DOE website are:

a) a student from a low-income household, a student in temporary housing, or an English Language Learner who moved to NYC within the past four years; and
    b) Have scored within a certain range below the cutoff score on the SHSAT; and
    c) Attend a high-poverty school. A school is defined as high-poverty if it has an Economic Need Index of at least 60%. You can see a school’s historical ENI by visiting the School Performance Dashboard (https://tools.nycenet.edu/dashboard) and selecting the school from the list.

I don't understand why the handbook has two more requirement than what the DOE says.
    I'll try to explain the best I can, but I'm also struggling to learn about the Discovery Program due to how complicated everything is.
    The Discovery Program is based on the score you have, whether you're low income or not, if you attend a low poverty school, and the recommendations from your school. The reason why they want low income students and students attending high poverty schools is because most Hispanics and Blacks fall under this category.
    Moving on, for the 2019 Discovery Program, they haven't released the eligible scores for the summer course. Last year it was 469-481 for Brooklyn Tech. I heard the seats this year would be more than last year's (275?), so the cutoff scores this year should be at least less than last year's. I could be wrong on this information, but it's what some people are saying.
    Hopefully, the school you applied for first wasn't Stuyvesant, or a school that support the program. Stuyvesant requires at least a 500 to get into the program.
    Being certified as disadvantaged either means you are low income, have temporary housing or someone who has been learning English the past four years (a foreigner basically). To prove you are low income, according to GregsTutoringNYC, it's the lunch forms given to you online and through school. You can sign up in https://www.myschoolapps.com. There are choices of benefits, such as SNAP, FDPIR and TANF. These are what the program is looking for when they go through your lunch form. SNAP, FDPIR, and TANF is the government providing you money to buy the basic necessities for your family. I could be wrong though.
    Has anyone in your school been offered a chance to get into the program? If so, that means you can cross off that requirement.
    For recommendations, I think it's after you are given the chance that you get signatures from your guidance counselors/teachers/principals to prove you are someone who will work hard to get into a SHS.
    I hope this clarifies some things.
    I don’t think it matters on what you rank as first though, I heard that it depends on your choices that you put so let’s say you put tech as 2nd then they would only consider you based on what you put on your application but as you said stuy first would be 500 it would probably go like this, if you don’t get a 500 then you don’t get into stuy discovery then next you would have to get tech discovery score to be considered by them