+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 55 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Discovery Program 2019

[ content deleted ]
    Last edited by shirleyzhao; 07-29-2019 at 10:56 PM.

SHS don't look at grades or attendance. Siblings, recommendations, etc. don't come into play.

Note that is not the current requirements for Discovery. They are:

To be eligible for the Discovery program, a specialized high schools applicant must:

Be one or more of the following:
    1) a student from a low-income household, a student in temporary housing, or an English Language Learner who moved to NYC within the past four years; and
    2) Have scored within a certain range below the cutoff score on the SHSAT; and
    3) Attend a high-poverty school. A school is defined as high-poverty if it has an Economic Need Index (ENI) of at least 60%. You can see a school’s historical ENI by visiting the School Performance Dashboard(https://tools.nycenet.edu/dashboard ) and selecting the school from the list.

They have not published the Discover cutoffs for 2019 (and the number rarely even comes up) only to say "right below the cutoff" which is meaningless. Anyway if you qualify they'll send notices after the offer letter deadlines (so you should still continue with your non-SHS offer) which mean it should be around mid-Apr
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

BTW, last year Discovery offers went out mid-May.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

423 is not enough for Discovery. It’s way too low for all of the SHS and depending on what school you put first, that matters too. If you put Stuy first and you don’t have like a 500, don’t expect to be in discovery. Last year for SIT, it was around 470-475 for discovery and 525ish for shsat so take it as you will. It might be a little lower overall this year though because they need a lot more kids. Either way, I don’t think 423 is going to cut it but best of lucks to you!

What do you mean by, "It might be a little lower overall this year though because they need a lot more kids"? Also my first choice was Brooklyn Tech. I heard the score range for the discovery program last year was 469-481.
    Last edited by shirleyzhao; 03-22-2019 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shirleyzhao View Post
    What do you mean by, "It might be a little lower overall this year though because they need a lot more kids"? Also my first choice was Brooklyn Tech. I heard the score range for the discovery program last year was 469-481.
    Last year, they accepted like >200ish kids for the program across all 8 schools but this year, 1/3 or something like that of the seats are reserved for discovery. They would need to lower the cutoff so a lot more kids can qualify for it. But then again, I’m not sure how they choose the kids because I’m speculating it’s based on some lottery because it’s nearly impossible how little kids qualified.

Remember some bell curves are applied during scoring so the cutoff need not necessarily be much lower just because there is X vs Y of this or that. It's not a lottery at that point although perhaps it should but in any event the DOE does not release much about it but then again the DOE doesn't release much about the SHSAT period.

I got a 484 on the SHSAT and am also eligible for the program. Do I have a chance of getting into the program for SIT? I am worrying since the city said below the cutoff and I am sort of above it.

The 2018 grade 8 cutoff for SIT is 526 and for all 486. I am still trying to obtain the number for grade 9 I hope to have it on Monday. In the interim 484 is not sort of above it, and at least for grade 8 is "right below" the cutoff probably by one question. But as I posted, are you a low income household? Is your middle school ENI 60% or above?

Yes, I recieve free lunch so I'm low income and last year two people from my school went to discovery so my school should be at 60% ENI.
    Last edited by anafshah; 03-23-2019 at 10:53 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 55 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast