+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41
    Quote Originally Posted by GregsTutoringNYC View Post
    To the best of whatever I've ever heard, nobody ever gets told this answer; it seems a secret.
    Are we guaranteed a seat in the program once we give our GCs the application? Or are we still being decided?

i dont know how to explain it thats what my counselor told me

I'd insist they put it in writing then, which won't happen.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

Quote Originally Posted by tommy feng View Post
    i dont know how to explain it thats what my counselor told me
    Sorry for asking this but are you replying to me?

I got into the Discovery Program for Brooklyn Tech. Do I have to attend the program every single day? I was planning to go on vacation and I would miss about a week of the program.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisKid View Post
    I got into the Discovery Program for Brooklyn Tech. Do I have to attend the program every single day? I was planning to go on vacation and I would miss about a week of the program.
    They want less than 3 days of absence, but for the "absence" part you might be able to get away if your parents are super in on the vacation so it's considered "needed absence."

I mean seeing how the discovery program is like a 2nd chance for kids who didnt get into a SHS in the first try, missing an entire week for a "vacation" doesn't seem like a good idea. But hey you do you.

Remember whether or not you have to (for the most part you do), and that some have reported it not done well/strongly, that the point is to provide you some mechanism to get up to speed of various topics, and therefore it's a silver-platter of an opportunity that should not be missed.

Generally, many unfortunately both underestimate and overestimate what's going on, for, to and with a SHS, whether related to Discovery, or even just day to day requirements and expectations being in a SHS.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

Question

Hi! Recently I was accepted into the Brooklyn Tech Discovery Program. The BTHS website shows the class contract for the 2018 Discovery Program, the students took Algebra 1 over the summer, I finished that regents and I am in 8th grade. Am I guaranteed a seat at tech if I attend the program? If I miss some days (more than 2) will I still be able to get a seat, if my test grades, hw and class work is excellent? I am aware that my absence will have consequences, will I be able to attend extra hours or go extra days in order to make up the work that I missed and/or get rid of my absence? I do understand that this is a very rigorous program, but I have already covered this topic this year so I donít think I will be learning anything new here. Sorry for typing this much, Iím also really bad at explaining as you can see so sorry for that too.

Let's assume for a second that when you get there they teach absolutely nothing at all, that you can all go go to sleep for the whole duration. But there is still conditions. One of those conditions is attendance. You blow that you don't get it.

Now let's add layers back in. For instance, let's say there is a Algebra I give at Tech over the summer during Discovery. The thing is that give the timeline, it can't possible by a full Algebra I class. Furthermore, without it (Algebra I) being defined, you don't know exactly what it is.

And so on, and so on, and so on.

As I posted earlier today, it's a silver-platter of an opportunity that should not be missed, if you want it.

Also as posted, many unfortunately both underestimate and overestimate what's going on, for, to and with a SHS, whether related to Discovery, or even just day to day requirements and expectations of being in a SHS.