+ Reply to Thread

How did Brooklyn Tech get so big?

I just found an article from 2006, when Randy Asher was appointed principal, which says there were 4300 students at the time. The 2015 Insideschools.org review has the number at 5000. The Fall open house says 6000. Does anyone have any insight about how and why this happened?

And students, does it feel super crowded in the halls?

Thanks!

Yes, while Asher was Principal, I think it was around 2012, the DOE forced Asher to accept about another 500 kids IIRC. At the same time they also withdrew a lot of funding from him so things such as AP classes and classes with certifications could not move forward properly.

And yes, sometimes the halls are like Grand Central Station. But that's kind of a distraction thought.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

I'm not surprised to hear it. Do you know if the situation with AP and cert classes has gotten better?

Somewhat. The classes moved forward but without the literal certification at the end. The alumni association helped in some cases. I don't know what the situation is this very second.

I also never found out exactly the reason why Asher seems to have stepped down as Principal. I may have been asleep at the wheel but it seems it happened very quietly and for somebody as passionate as he seemed to be the position he changed to at the DOE just did not seem to fit him. I suspect he just finally gave up to graze in the pastures but that's wild guessing.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

Quote Originally Posted by MWBT2019 View Post
    I just found an article from 2006, when Randy Asher was appointed principal, which says there were 4300 students at the time. The 2015 Insideschools.org review has the number at 5000. The Fall open house says 6000. Does anyone have any insight about how and why this happened?

And students, does it feel super crowded in the halls?

Thanks!
    'And students, does it feel super crowded in the halls? '

I mean believe it or not its relatively peaceful during passing. Until the last period where everyone's rushing to get out. I guess that what happens when the school is made up of mostly mature kids as to where my middle school (who had 1.7k students instead of 5k) was war zone. Its not really crowed. And if there is traffic, teacher will monitor it.

Thanks both. HEHEHEHHEHE - thanks a million for starting the questions thread too. Here's a link to the Randy Asher hiring article if anyone is curious- https://www.bthsalumni.org/Document.Doc?=&id=79