+ Reply to Thread

Placement tests at Specialized Schools

They mentioned at the orientation that students will be placed in classes based on their SHsAT results. Do they use the overall score or the Math score for Math class?

Will we ever receive the breakdown or is that only for people who review the test?

Thanks

Since they do it for science placement also it’s probably not just the section score. They combine the SHSAT score with a placement test they take on June 6, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by WorkingMama View Post
    Since they do it for science placement also itís probably not just the section score. They combine the SHSAT score with a placement test they take on June 6, I think.
    Thank you. It seemed as if the placement tests were optional and you had to sign up for them if you wanted to be considered for honors classes.

what school is this? I never heard of SHSAT results being used for class placement. most have math placement tests , not sure about other subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by parentnyc1mp View Post
    what school is this? I never heard of SHSAT results being used for class placement. most have math placement tests , not sure about other subjects.
    Bronx Science, maybe I misunderstood. Anyone with past experience at Bronx Science can maybe clear this up.

Bronx Science has various advanced placement courses available for freshman. Which are offered, and how, changes slightly from year to year.

Often the placement tests are given on freshman orientation day which is often in early June, I believe on the day they have off for Brooklyn/Queens Day which I believe this year is June 6, there is also a clerical day on June 11.

In the past, the placement tests with their requirements have included:

* Science, freshman bio, based upon SHSAT and exam given on the day off
    * Science, freshman chem, based upon SHSAT and exam given on the day off
    * Science, freshman physics, based upon SHSAT
    * Math, Math team, based upon exam given on the day off
    * Math, Math general, based upon SHSAT and past respective Regents' score
    All incoming fresh used to get an algebra-centric placement test not sure if it's being done that way still
    * Social Studies, World History, based upon SHSAT (used to also be based on the English placement
    too but not sure if it's being done that way still)
    * Language, 2+ years previous language and 85+ average
    * English I believe there used to be an English placement exam but no longer

Whether this is the case this year or not you'll have to see when you get your orientation letters.

These letters have a lot of info including other programs offered so if this is something you're interested in make sure you go through it with a fine toothed comb so you don't miss anything it mentions whether about the above, clubs, etc. including requirements (like pencils, report card in hand, etc!!)
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

My child got into Stuy for this fall and will have an orientation (Camp Stuy) on June 6. Do you know when we will get the orientation letter? Does it come via email or regular mail?

I believe it comes in email very close to the date, so late May onward.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)