+ Reply to Thread

Brooklyn school of Inquiry

Dear parents,

My son received his score today, 99. The only g n t school in brooklyn is Brooklyn school of Inquiry. I am a working mom with an older kid in zone school. Does anyone send kids to Brooklyn school of Inquiry? Can you share your experience? I am debating if I should try to apply to g n t city wide school, or I should stick with my current zone school g n t .

Very puzzled as I am completely new to this. Any comments are greatly appreciated.thank you!!!

The year my child got 99, none of the city wide G&T accepted us, not even our first choice G&T regional school. The sibling rule takes a lot of the lower scored kids first. BSI ranks high for elementary and middle school. Once you are in, you don't have to worry about middle school process. They don't have much homework. Most of the work are done in school, unless you are falling behind.

Quote Originally Posted by kooba View Post
    Dear parents,

My son received his score today, 99. The only g n t school in brooklyn is Brooklyn school of Inquiry. I am a working mom with an older kid in zone school. Does anyone send kids to Brooklyn school of Inquiry? Can you share your experience? I am debating if I should try to apply to g n t city wide school, or I should stick with my current zone school g n t .

Very puzzled as I am completely new to this. Any comments are greatly appreciated.thank you!!!

There are BUS services (arranged by school PTA) from brooklyn to NEST. Once in .. your kid are set thru High School. BSI is a good second choice. What is your local G&T school ?

Thanks for your reply. Our local zone school is PS 229 Dyker. My older kid is enrolled in this school currently. Personally I think it is a good school. I am just unsure if I should send the younger one to BSI. decision decision.

Thanks for your reply. Our local zone school is PS 229 Dyker. My older kid is enrolled in this school currently. Personally I think it is a good school. I am just unsure if I should send the younger one to BSI. decision decision.
    PS 229 is competitive itself, you might not even get in with 99 either. I would put another District 20 school on your list just in case you dont make it into Dyker G&T. At least you have Dyker zone as backest back up.

Thanks for your input. Good to know. I thought he has high chance to get into PS 229 g and t program. I am still very new to this and I am so thankful to find all these useful information from this group. Thanks all!

Thanks for your input. Good to know. I thought he has high chance to get into PS 229 g and t program. I am still very new to this and I am so thankful to find all these useful information from this group. Thanks all!
    If your older kid is in ps 229 zone, then your younger kid will have more than an excellent chance of getting into the G&T 229. In fact, he will be one of the first in line. IMO, PS229 gives a lot of homework and prepares the children very well for middle school. Their G&T are normally teaching faster than most of the other schools. (you can compare them in tutoring centers) PS229 second, third and fourth grade G&T teachers are extremely good. ~95% of the G&T students in the 5th grade got G&T program middle school offers this year. But I agree with Lazymom, you might want to put a few more G&T schools on your list just in case.
    Last edited by James6868; 04-17-2019 at 02:41 PM.

Thank you so much James6868. Your input is extremely helpful and almost helps me to make the decision. Sounds crazy but the fact that BSI doesn’t give much homework bothers me quite a bit. Maybe because I am a strong believer who think kids need to do homework to reinforce what they learn in school.

It is very helpful to know the g&t teachers are good. My older kid is in regular class and thus I don’t have much knowledge about it. Overall I do think 229 is a good competitive school.

I will certainly take the advice and put more g&t schools on my list.

Many many thanks for your input!