+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question District 20 G&T School Reviews?

Hi all,

Any thoughts on what each District 20 G&T school offers, and what are the pros and cons of each? My little one scored a 97 for Grade 1 entry, and I will be attending the upcoming open houses for PS 229, PS 205, and PS 104, but I am in such unfamiliar territory with all of this! I also am considering just putting her into PS 264 if they have a spot for her for 1st Grade (probably wont).

I hope I make the best choice for her. Thanks for any info you can provide on the D20 G&T schools.

Thanks,
    Costa

Quote Originally Posted by cgkokkinos View Post
    Hi all,

Any thoughts on what each District 20 G&T school offers, and what are the pros and cons of each? My little one scored a 97 for Grade 1 entry, and I will be attending the upcoming open houses for PS 229, PS 205, and PS 104, but I am in such unfamiliar territory with all of this! I also am considering just putting her into PS 264 if they have a spot for her for 1st Grade (probably wont).

I hope I make the best choice for her. Thanks for any info you can provide on the D20 G&T schools.

Thanks,
    Costa
    PS 229 (G&T class) is considered good, I do not know anything about PS 205 and PS 104. I am in district 21 and we have only 3 GT schools, so I will go for district 20 and 22 as well and I also have these schools on the list.

Hi All,

My kid got a 90 and entering kindergarten. Do you think can she get a placement any of the District 20 gt schools? Or should we simply skip for this year. Thanks.

Why not to try? My kid got 93 and I am going to try. I know that the chances are not that big as there are not enough space for GT kids, however, you never know. You still will have two outcomes: win a space or try the next year.

yes, thank you will try. Do u know how many spaces available in D20 schools. There are 6 district school, and space?

It is approximately 120 spots for GT kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki1026 View Post
    It is approximately 120 spots for GT kids.
    Correct me if I'm wrong. Here is the list of G&T schools in D20 ---> 229, 204, 205, 102, 104, 200, 164 and BSI. At least 25 seats for each of the seven D20 G&T schools would give total 175 seats. (not including BSI) IMO, the most important questions for parents need to find out are how many students from these schools get into top G&T middle schools? such as IS187 and Mark Twian... Some parents only look at ELA and math test scores but that will not be a complete picture.

In our situation (GT test is lower than 97 for K) we can consider only PS 200, PS 229, PS 104, PS 102 and PS 205. PS 204 has the GT class only from the 1st grade - not K. PS 200 - 20 GT spots, PS 229 - 25 GT spots, PS 104 - 25, PS 102 - 25, PS 205 - 25. The total is 120 spots. And as of now we are not considering the middle school - too early for us

Is there any reason you are not considering PS 164? This is one of the schools closer to us and we are considering applying. However we actually live in District 22, so don't know if we have much of a shot. Is this school less popular than other D20 schools?

Oh, I forgot about this school. The only reason I was not considering it is the distance. We live in District 21. And it appears to be the farthest school out of the most schools for us.