+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile District 28 G&TProgram

Can anyone please share your experience/knowledge in respect to which District 28 school has better G&T program, school environment, possibility of getting in etc? DC scored 96 and is in 1 grade with no sibling priority. Any chance of getting into surrounding district G&T program? Any insight will be appreciated.

I'm also curious. My daughter scored 97 and is in K at P.S. 144 right now. Hoping to get her into G&T in the same school. Is that possible with that score?

How is PS 144 in general ed? Any tips from other parents on G&T? Please share your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmom View Post
    How is PS 144 in general ed? Any tips from other parents on G&T? Please share your experience.

Gen ed at P.S. 144, like everywhere, depends on the teacher. My daughter had an amazing teacher! And most of her friends had good teachers as well. One K class had a teacher that I know parents were not happy about. But overall, it's a very good school for gen ed as well.

Thanks for the insight

My son got an offer at 174 last year for first grade with a score of 98. He got into 144 (our zoned school, where he had done kindergarten) off the waitlist on the first day of school. The other two district 28 G&Ts are too far from our house for us to consider, so I can't speak to them. In my opinion (based on touring the schools, going to orientations for both, and being a parent at 144) 174 and 144 are very comparable schools in many ways. I would have been fine with my son in either, but 144 is easier to get to for us and he already knew his classmates from K there, so it made sense to transfer when we got the offer.

It's hard to say because there are so many variables. I can say that my son got into 144's 1st grade G&T class off of the waitlist last year, with a score of 98. Definitely look into 174, which is where we got our first offer. It isn't too far away from 144 and the two schools seem comparable in many ways. The first grade G&T teacher at 174 is amazing. I saw her teach and really, really liked her. My son (who was in her class for one day) still talks about her all these months later.

Ps 174 doesn't have a robust after school program compared to ps 144, if that is a consideration.

How do the district g&t programs at ps 144 and 174 compare with a high achieving (going by state test scores) gen ed program at ps 196 or 303? What kind of activities do they have that makes the curriculum 'enriched'? If a child is able to tackle topics above grade level, will they make allowances for that in class?

We're zoned for 196/303 and my child is unlikely to lottery into a citywide spot. So am wondering if districts programs will be worth the longer commute.

Test score is not comparable because ps 144 and ps 174 do not break down test score by GT only.

Advantage with district G&T is peers are generally focused on academics. While ps 196. You will not have control since it's a zoned school

Disadvantage with GT is if you don't like the classmates, you are still stuck for the next 6 years in same class.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeemama View Post
    How do the district g&t programs at ps 144 and 174 compare with a high achieving (going by state test scores) gen ed program at ps 196 or 303? What kind of activities do they have that makes the curriculum 'enriched'? If a child is able to tackle topics above grade level, will they make allowances for that in class?

We're zoned for 196/303 and my child is unlikely to lottery into a citywide spot. So am wondering if districts programs will be worth the longer commute.