+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Maybe so but you remain appear to be emotionally unstable.

Quote Originally Posted by InwoodParent View Post
    You seem to be rather pointlessly nasty, not to mention having some challenges with reading comprehension.

If it were me, I'd check out school bus and afterschool options, as well as if your neighborhood has a bunch of parents banding together to charter a private bus, before turning down that Citywide spot. It is a precious thing, to have the accelerated curriculum that your child needs.

Quote Originally Posted by kooba View Post
    I am facing the same dilemma. Older kid in district school while the younger one is eligible to apply the citywide.i think I sort of made up my mind and will apply the younger one to same district g&t program. We don’t have a lot of flexibility in commute and I figure it might be too stress out for the kids and parents. Plus, I am unsure if the citywide school is well fit for my kid. I am kind of going back and forth. It is a hard decision . I sort of think if a kid does well academically, he will be fine even in a district school. I am unsure if my theory is right though. Good luck with your decision! :-)
    thanks! I think you can go to the open house and ask about the bus distance, weigh all your options, both of your options are good! good luck too! thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by coffeemama View Post
    If it were me, I'd check out school bus and afterschool options, as well as if your neighborhood has a bunch of parents banding together to charter a private bus, before turning down that Citywide spot. It is a precious thing, to have the accelerated curriculum that your child needs.
    I'm going back and forth. So what Citywide spot offers, is an accelerated program? [Specifically BSI(as far as we'll travel)] TIA as any info is helpful

Lazymom, I am debating between district school and BSI too :-)

Even if you rank BSI first, there are no guarantees that your child will get an offer to BSI. With that said here are some benefits if your child made the cut:
    * With BSI your younger child will be "set" for the next 9 years (through end of 8th grade). With district schools, you'll need to go through the MS application process.
    * Once you're in BSI, the older sibling would have a shot to take the G&T test again and get accepted via sibling priority the following year(presuming s/he's young enough to retest - ie for G&T programs only add students up to 3rd grade).

In your shoes, I'd consider the age separation of the kids. Particularly if it's 2 or more years, I'd really consider BSI first, as the value of having them in the same school will quickly go away once 6th grade comes around.

If they're only a year apart, I'd say it's a tougher debate.

Also consider similarities/differences between the schools:
    * what's the English/writing curriculum? Do both of them happen to use the Teacher's College Reading/Writing Project?
    * what's the math methodology? Do they both use Singapore math?
    * what are the specials like (music, chess, art, dance)?
    * are the teachers alone in the classrooms or do they have teacher assistants?
    * do the schools invest in test preparation for the state exams in 3/4/5th grades?

Something I didn't consider when I was looking at G&T/Citywide/non-G&T was the impact of the PTA. You should look into how much the PTA raises annually and what they cover in their budget. Everything but the last bullet generally would generally involve PTA funding (for materials and even teacher/TA salaries) to supplement the school's official DOE budget.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeemama View Post
    Agree with this. I would go with citywide for younger one if logistics is not an issue. One other benefit for citywide is that it is K-8 (K-12 for NEST+m) so you don't have to be stressed about middle school options.

Thank you parents!