+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

G&T: PS 130 vs. PS 11 and PS 33

Hi All- We are debating about ranking the G&T options in the application.

It seems that PS 11 and PS 33 are more popular District 2 G&T choices than PS 130. However, PS 130 seems to have higher test scores and better middle school placement.

Can someone share some thoughts or experiences on PS 130 compared to PS 11/PS 33? Which will have more rigorous or accelerated curriculum? Thanks a lot!

PS 130
    https://tools.nycenet.edu/snapshot/2018/02M130/EMS/#SA
    PS 11
    https://tools.nycenet.edu/snapshot/2018/02M011/EMS/#SA
    PS 33
    https://tools.nycenet.edu/snapshot/2018/02M033/EMS/#SA

Quote Originally Posted by WestVillage View Post
    Hi All- We are debating about ranking the G&T options in the application.

It seems that PS 11 and PS 33 are more popular District 2 G&T choices than PS 130. However, PS 130 seems to have higher test scores and better middle school placement.

Can someone share some thoughts or experiences on PS 130 compared to PS 11/PS 33? Which will have more rigorous or accelerated curriculum? Thanks a lot!

PS 130
    https://tools.nycenet.edu/snapshot/2018/02M130/EMS/#SA
    PS 11
    https://tools.nycenet.edu/snapshot/2018/02M011/EMS/#SA
    PS 33
    https://tools.nycenet.edu/snapshot/2018/02M033/EMS/#SA
    It's important to remember that when considering a district G&T program, the school's test scores will not be representative of how good the G&T program is, as they include the scores of the Gen Ed students. For 130, where the overall demographic is a bit more homogenous than either 11 or 33, it could be that they have higher performing Gen Ed students there compared to the other two schools which brings up the school averages.

Quote Originally Posted by gtusername View Post
    It's important to remember that when considering a district G&T program, the school's test scores will not be representative of how good the G&T program is, as they include the scores of the Gen Ed students. For 130, where the overall demographic is a bit more homogenous than either 11 or 33, it could be that they have higher performing Gen Ed students there compared to the other two schools which brings up the school averages.

Thanks for your input. Yes, it is important to understand the test scores are the overall scores for Gen ed and G&T. And there may be difference in the incoming students (but maybe not that much?).

But can the scores show, to some degree, how rigorous the curriculum is at the schools (both Gen ed and G&T)? From what I learned, Gen ed and G&T have very similar curriculum in these schools.

Also, the surveyed results showed low scores in leadership, trust etc. in PS 33. Should I concern?

Just wanted to chime in here:
    PS 11 (W 21st bet 8th and 9th ave) and PS 33 (27th St and 9th Ave) are located very close together in Chelsea, making them a logical comparison.

PS 130 is located on Baxter between Grand & Hester - basically in Chinatown/Little Italy). It's a bit of a rare school with it's 88.2% Asian demographics, putting it among the least diverse schools in the NYC DOE. Not a bad thing, just different.

I think all three are wonderful options and you will not go wrong with any of them. I don't know PS11 as well but I know the G&T kids from PS33 and 130 pretty much go to the same top middle schools (tiny number to NEST+m, a bunch to Lab and SALK etc.). I think it's more about fit as they both offer strong curricula. You should tour the schools and get a feel of each school and see which one is the best fit for your family and your child.

You should also think about logistics though depending on where you live - i know PS33 has school buses going from Tribeca/Battery Park City and that is a big benefit for families living in that area.

I had the same question last year (we ended up at ranking PS11 first, we were lucky to get of the waitlist, and we absolutely love the school). My advice would be to analyze other variables. As others had mentioned here, scores mean close to nothing (for G&T) in District schools, as they also include GenEd scores. If the G&T scores were released separately, I wouldn't be surprised to see all these three schools at the top of the rank together with the Citywides. The variables I would suggest you to consider are: transportation, PTA (this makes a huge difference!), enrichment offers, and, of course, your general feeling about the school at the open house.

Can you tell me more about PS 11? As you can see, we would be coming from FiDi. Does your child get a bus to school? Did you also look at 33 and how did you choose to rank 11 first? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fidi_mom View Post
    Can you tell me more about PS 11? As you can see, we would be coming from FiDi. Does your child get a bus to school? Did you also look at 33 and how did you choose to rank 11 first? Thanks!
    Sure, we ranked 11 ahead of 33. Got an offer at 33 and signed up then got of the waitlist at 11 and switched (overall score 98). My kid takes the bus (FYI the FiDi stop is Broadway x Liberty). The 11 x 33 debate is real and it took us some time to decide how to rank. We ranked 11 higher because of general impression at the open house, safety, location, principal and teacher impressions, and enrichment. The work displayed on the walls did not seem different between the two schools. PS11 principal is amazing and so are the teachers (the open house impression at 33 was not so great - I talked to a K G&T teacher there that seemed very unexperienced, and there is the whole debate about the PS33 principal as well). We would have happily stayed at 33 though, there was absolutely NO comparison with our reputed zoned school (PS 33 being extremely better). That said, we are absolutely happy with our decision and in love with 11 in every aspect (academically, socially, enrichment opportunities, chess team, the community, etc.). Feel free to send me a personal message if you have more questions, we've been there last year and we know the feeling!

Thank you so much. Saw 33 yesterday and will be seeing 11 tomorrow so may take you up on your offer after that. May I ask if you considered lower lab at all and if not, was it just the distance? I realize chances are slim but that is another one on my list as of now, so any insights welcome. Thanks!

fidi_mom and Bpcmomof2, would you be ok with sharing your answers here? I'm also trying to figure out PS11 vs PS33 and it's so difficult just from the open houses. Thanks!