+ Reply to Thread

Peck Slip vs. District G&T

Daughter got a 98 on G&T and we are zoned for Peck Slip. Which (if any) district G&Ts would you rank/select over local school? She is pretty adaptable and very smart/curious so don't want to hold her back but don't want to add stress to all our lives for a mediocre district G&T program (don't get me started on missing that one point...). Which D2 programs are worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by fidi_mom View Post
    Daughter got a 98 on G&T and we are zoned for Peck Slip. Which (if any) district G&Ts would you rank/select over local school? She is pretty adaptable and very smart/curious so don't want to hold her back but don't want to add stress to all our lives for a mediocre district G&T program (don't get me started on missing that one point...). Which D2 programs are worth it?
    I would say 11, 33, 130. With a 98 you should get a spot. Do your research to find out which one would be a best fit for you and your daughter. If she is smart and curious go for G&T! I see the difference between what my kid does in K (11) and what her friends do at our zoned school - there's absolutely no comparison!

Go for the District program. Agree with Bpcmom of 2 that 11, 33 and 130 are good prospects. Do the tours and go with your gut. Big caveat: all three are in MUCH older municipal buildings than nice, shiny, new Peck Slip (or other downtown schools), which might make them seem more intimidating (at least it did for me on the tours) - try to overlook this, because in my experience the appearance of the facility has zero to do with education quality and the warmth of the community and faculty. As far as stress/disruption, I'm not sure about 130, but for 11 and 33 there are buses that take kids to/from stop in Fidi/BPC/Tribeca, so your morning commute won't be too much different than going to a local school, plus you'll have local friends. Afternoon also has a return bus, if you or a sitter are able to pick up, or you can do afterschool on site and pick up in Chelsea (which isn't as bad as it sounds after you get in the groove).

Thanks! May I ask where you considered, where you ended up and whether you are happy with that? Did our first tour yesterday of 33 and I was completely turned off by the building (vs Peck Slip), but you are right that there is so much more to it than that.

Quote Originally Posted by fidi_mom View Post
    Thanks! May I ask where you considered, where you ended up and whether you are happy with that? Did our first tour yesterday of 33 and I was completely turned off by the building (vs Peck Slip), but you are right that there is so much more to it than that.
    We got into 33 and after a long hard deliberation turned it down; and then got in 11 off the waitlist and happily accepted. This was for an older grade, so we had a bit more experience knowing what would be a good fit for our particular kid in terms of their personality and learning style (it's REALLY hard to know this going into kindergarten!!!), and we just went with our gut. We love 11, but we also have good friends who are having a great experience at 33.