+ Reply to Thread

BSI City Wide G&T question

What does it mean to go to a City Wide G&T compared to a District G&T?
    If I don't try for City Wide G&T, am I hindering my kid's future?
    Please advise...
    I went to BSI Open House..I don't understand what is so good about it..I'm hoping to get an eye opener..TIA

I don't think there's one perfect answer. Some people choose citywide schools due to automatic articulation into GnT middle school (and possibly HS); others due to the accelerated curriculum (Nest + m) and enrichment opportunities these schools offer. Another factor to consider is that some, if not all, of the citywides have TAs, which decreases the student-teacher ratio. But I don't think you will be hindering your child's future if you don't choose or don't get into a citywide program. There are many excellent district programs that are on par with the citywides in at least some respects. If you toured and liked the district programs in your district more than BSI, you should trust your instincts and go with the option that is most attractive to your family.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my concerns. There's 3 more days until the deadline and I feel like "what if" given that the chance of getting in is near zero %, if I put BSI first choice and if we do get it, it would be a meant to be thing. But we don't want to separate the siblings and Distric G&T is really welcoming & friendly. I feel like BSI specifically is doable but I just didn't see what is so good about it. NEST+m is too much movement for the whole family, I didn't even dare to suggest it to the hubby, lol. Thanks again for you input.

Quote Originally Posted by nanerssonne View Post
    I don't think there's one perfect answer. Some people choose citywide schools due to automatic articulation into GnT middle school (and possibly HS); others due to the accelerated curriculum (Nest + m) and enrichment opportunities these schools offer. Another factor to consider is that some, if not all, of the citywides have TAs, which decreases the student-teacher ratio. But I don't think you will be hindering your child's future if you don't choose or don't get into a citywide program. There are many excellent district programs that are on par with the citywides in at least some respects. If you toured and liked the district programs in your district more than BSI, you should trust your instincts and go with the option that is most attractive to your family.

I had basically the same decision to make. My older child is in a district G&T class in our zoned school, so in addition to the logistical problems of getting to/from one of the citywide schools (none of which is close to us or particularly convenient), we have the issue of separating the siblings. For me the upsides of the citywide schools are 1) the students can stay through middle school, so you don't have to worry about that process or not being unhappy with where you get placed; 2) amenities that our district school doesn't have, such as language instruction, music rooms with actual instruments, art rooms and full-time art teachers, etc.; and 3) an environment in which every child is working at a high level and even more importantly, every family prioritizes education and many even sacrifice to get their kids to the school. I was bullied for being a nerd as a child, which I hope would happen less at a school where everyone is somewhat nerdy in some way. There are downsides too: hours spent commuting and less diversity than our home district are the two that matter to me personally.

In the end I decided that keeping the two siblings together and having a nice lifestyle for the kids (playground time after school, neighborhood friends, for example) is more important to me.

Thank you so much for your insight! I hope nothing changes from now to this day is over, we are going to stay with District. Hope it’s the right decision! Thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by queensmomoftwo View Post
    I had basically the same decision to make. My older child is in a district G&T class in our zoned school, so in addition to the logistical problems of getting to/from one of the citywide schools (none of which is close to us or particularly convenient), we have the issue of separating the siblings. For me the upsides of the citywide schools are 1) the students can stay through middle school, so you don't have to worry about that process or not being unhappy with where you get placed; 2) amenities that our district school doesn't have, such as language instruction, music rooms with actual instruments, art rooms and full-time art teachers, etc.; and 3) an environment in which every child is working at a high level and even more importantly, every family prioritizes education and many even sacrifice to get their kids to the school. I was bullied for being a nerd as a child, which I hope would happen less at a school where everyone is somewhat nerdy in some way. There are downsides too: hours spent commuting and less diversity than our home district are the two that matter to me personally.

In the end I decided that keeping the two siblings together and having a nice lifestyle for the kids (playground time after school, neighborhood friends, for example) is more important to me.