+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tag Young Scholar

Hi,

Would someone be able to share their thoughts on TAG versus other citywide schools in terms of curriculum, safety, commute, enrichment etc etc.

Thank you so much!

I would love to hear as well. I didn't get a lot of answers on the tour unfortunately.

I was very impressed during the tour.

Anyone goes there from downtown? How long does it take by school bus/subway?

I would be happy to answer questions about TAG. Current parent of an elementary student and have been extremely impressed at the quality of education and student body at the school. The diversity of the student body at the school is really unique and the students really benefit from students that truly represent a variety of the city, which absolutely is the case at TAG.

The curriculum is rigorous in an appropriate way (it ranks highest in academic performance among the citywide schools and 2nd in the state consistently). I've been consistently impressed by the opportunities for public speaking and creativity in the classroom that don't get mentioned enough (for example, the chance to write and act out in student led plays, etc.), great field trips, and a lot of emphasis on STEM and growth mindset in the classroom. The area is safe, and in fact safer than some districts elsewhere in Manhattan though statistics are available online that you should review for your own comfort. Buses run east and wide sides from the DOE and there a variety of private lines elsewhere.

The PTA website has a lot of information on extra-curricular activities; there is free after-care until 6 through the YMCA onsite and also a variety of popular classes (Chess, Spanish, Mandarin, Piano, etc.). Generally, TAG doesn't get as much "press" as some of the other schools but many of us feel so fortunate to send our children there. Lastly, I don't know if students from the upper grades are speaking on this year's tours (they have in years past as TAG Ambassadors), but if they are, please take a moment to hear them speak, too, as they really are incredible. They are articulate, bright, and engaged in their schools and communities; they really are the best way to asses the school since they are so impressive and really make the best case for the school!
    Last edited by TAGmom12; 05-07-2019 at 02:11 PM.

quick question on tag. i went to open house and i was really impressed on the kids work for kindergarten, first grade and second grade which i thought was better than nest and anderson.
    if you look at the link however, it looks like the percentage of kids getting into specialized high school is slightly higher for nest and anderson. any thoughts why?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-students.html

It's interesting too bc nest goes to grade 12, meaning some kids will stay there. OTOH nest k-8 is like twice the size of tag. But even so less tag kids take it so even if 100% of those taking got in the number would still be less than the other two.

Note too that if this is a deciding factor for some reason, that the mayor has a proposal up to remove the specialized high school test and his replacement proposal will cap the number of kids eligible from these schools just mentioned drastically.
    Last edited by GregsTutoringNYC; 05-08-2019 at 08:51 PM.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

That wouldn't be a factor in the particular datapoint that fidifidi was showing; although about 1/3 of the NEST+m class stays on through HS, the article wasn't about enrollment, but specifically about the ratio of success among SHSAT test-takers per school.

The infographic in the link indicated that 126 kids from NEST+m (nearly the whole class) took the SHSAT and 91 received offers, whereas the ratio at TAG was 54 taking the test and 27 receiving offers. Frankly, I'm definitely surprised that the ratio is so different, considering the excellent quality of the student work at TAG. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps, because of TAG's location, a greater percentage of students come from District 2, and more of the students have less at stake on the SHSAT, because they're fine attending one of the excellent local high schools that have a preference for District 2 residents? Perhaps more of the NEST+m students prep harder for the SHSAT, because way more of them live downtown or closer to it, and are shooting for Stuy, which is the hardest specialized high school to get into?

I have a hard time believing that the NEST education is "better" than TAG's, and we're at NEST.
    Last edited by InwoodParent; 05-08-2019 at 09:06 PM.

These are excellent questions and I can try to find out the answer for the group thread; we are parents of a younger child and have not yet had direct experience yet though TAG's "exmissions" have always done well (there are also a lot of students that are going on to the city's top private schools, etc. so perhaps that factors in). The quality of the work at TAG is incredible - in particular, ELA/reading and writing is levels above grade standard in the classroom. Will try to get information on this SHSAT point and revert back.

Thanks TAGmom12!

Are there any students from downtown in TAG? Is it feasible to do it?

Have there ever been discussions to put off the start time for the citywides, since many students have long commute?

We have students that come from battery park city to the school (there are even students from Staten Island!) in our child's class so it's doable though I think the bus time is early. I would certainly check the PTA website, which contains all of the routes and timetables (or call and ask the parent coordinator who is terrific!) but there are plenty of families coming from downtown as well as farther parts of queens, etc. The early school start time (8:05) does have a benefit on the back end to consider; school lets out at 2:25, which means there is less traffic buildup on the way back home (it already gets a lot more congested by the 3 pm and later dismissal). The younger ones are more tired in the afternoons in particular so it's actually been an overall benefit to get them home earlier since they are typically fresher in the mornings anyway. It also makes getting to afterschool activities, if you plan on those outside of the house either now or later, a bit easier to coordinate. Hope that helps!