+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Can any Tag parents share their thoughts on how there's an emphasis on grades? I saw that all the work displayed on the walls had a sheet at the back with the rubric and the scores for each "topic" circled and the overall score written on the page where everyone can see it. I also heard from a parent about the achievement ceremony/assembly where kids are asked to stand and be recognized if they scored a 4 in different subjects. It just seems like a lot of pressure to put on the kids.

Is the overall culture like this? I did really like the school, but also have hesitations over it being overly regimented.

One more question to add to Chloe's above is.. During the openhouse at TAG, one of the parents asked the parent coordinator about the diversity issue that they had last year. He mentioned that he would get back to me offline to provide more color around it.. I have been following up for the past couple of days but didnt get any response. Does anyone know what the diversity issue was at TAG?

Thank you so much!

Thanks Tagmom12. It makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by fidifidi View Post
    One more question to add to Chloe's above is.. During the openhouse at TAG, one of the parents asked the parent coordinator about the diversity issue that they had last year. He mentioned that he would get back to me offline to provide more color around it.. I have been following up for the past couple of days but didnt get any response. Does anyone know what the diversity issue was at TAG?

Thank you so much!
    I think the parent was asking about the diversity initiative, where TAG will set aside 40% of the seats for low-income families (they have priority).

I was surprised that Daniel said he was not sure about it. It is right there on the DOE website.

Quote Originally Posted by WestVillage View Post
    I think the parent was asking about the diversity initiative, where TAG will set aside 40% of the seats for low-income families (they have priority).

I was surprised that Daniel said he was not sure about it. It is right there on the DOE website.
    I see! ok, Thank you so much! This helps WestVillage.

With respect to the grades question: TAG certainly has grades and weekly homework, and has a rigorous academic standard. That said, I think that this is coupled with an emotional well-being curriculum on growth mindset that was a part of the elementary classroom for our child, at least. Also, while it can seem daunting, delving deeper into it it's really about work habits rather than grades. For example, the homework in our classroom is peer graded weekly, so it's not ever teacher assessed. The students pair up with their tablemates and check each other's work so that they learn how to review other's work and explain concepts to one another, sort of like "see one/do one/teach one," which actually helps the students learn to work together, learn to ask questions, and be able to explain concepts to one another.

With respect to grades; they certainly receive them but I feel like the the culture of the parent body particularly at the younger grades that I can speak for isn't focused on it. In fact, I think that because parents often feel secure in the rigor and attention to education at the school, we have really been able to focus on community building at the school, etc. It's actually a relief since we really get the kids together for a lot of fun events and I don't worry that my child is bored or left behind in any way.

I was worried about this issue, too, when thinking of schools and saw firsthand when in the classroom for events/field trips how much fun they have. I think the largest difference is that they really are a group of very high-performing kids that can pace well together for learning purposes and the teachers can really focus on concepts. That really sets them apart since they pace well together but otherwise, they really are having a lot of fun.

Anyone commuting from Forest Hills/Rego Park area? How long does it take in the morning and afternoon? Thanks!