+ Reply to Thread

Thoughts on/experience with Nest?

Any insight into Nest would be greatly appreciated! It was the first school I toured so I hadn't figured out what to look for or what questions to ask yet. I've also heard mixed things so am really unsure of where to rank it. Thanks!

I am interested too - is the curriculum at Nest similar to Gen-ed or is it more accelerated one whole year like other city wide schools?
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by fidifidi View Post
    I am interested too - is the curriculum at Nest similar to Gen-ed or is it more accelerated one whole year like other city wide schools?
    Thank you!
    They certainly tell us that the curriculum is accelerated by a year! Not having any kids in Gen Ed, hard to confirm that. However, I will say that a big difference I've noticed between the gen ed vs NEST+m curriculum is the level of work required. For instance, we have a friend from Pre K who's in his local (very good) gen ed. In first grade, they had a writing assignment where they had to provide five facts; and they basically wrote these in the five digits of a tracing of a hand. Cute, fine, gets the job done. I happened to see it because it was posted on their fridge, and deservingly so. However, my daughter had the same assignment at NEST+m and they just had a blank piece of lined paper; they were expected to figure out the five facts, and write them out in sentences to form a paragraph or two.

I hope that illustration helps, but if not, I'm happy to answer any questions about the curriculum up through 2d grade.

If I were either teacher, I would personally probably (depends upon the goals at the time) have the assignment done both ways. There is lots to be said for each, including in a G&T class.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

Quote Originally Posted by GregsTutoringNYC View Post
    If I were either teacher, I would personally probably (depends upon the goals at the time) have the assignment done both ways. There is lots to be said for each, including in a G&T class.
    Well...i think that asking for that much differentiation in DOE public school classroom is expecting a lot! Frankly, if they did that routinely, I'm not sure there would be as much of a need for G&T programs to begin with.

I agree, though, that kids need to be able to complete work at their level, and i will definitely say that at NEST+m it is very clear that kids are approaching the writing assignments from different levels. Some are exceptional writers from an early age, but for many, its very much an emerging skill. What i like about the more open ended assignments, though, is that it allows room for expansion and individuation. But, surely other kids benefit from a simpler, more structured approach, especially to build solid skills at an early age. There's nothing wrong with that, but the open ended assignments are definitely a distinguishing feature of the way ELA is taught at NEST.

Quote Originally Posted by InwoodParent View Post
    Well...i think that asking for that much differentiation in DOE public school classroom is expecting a lot! Frankly, if they did that routinely, I'm not sure there would be as much of a need for G&T programs to begin with.
    Not sure I follow. I would certainly hope that both non-G&T and G&T both covered both. The assignment could have different goals, and each also could be provided to complement each other. And both could do both while still being distinct, if necessary.

I agree, though, that kids need to be able to complete work at their level, and i will definitely say that at NEST+m it is very clear that kids are approaching the writing assignments from different levels. Some are exceptional writers from an early age, but for many, its very much an emerging skill. What i like about the more open ended assignments, though, is that it allows room for expansion and individuation. But, surely other kids benefit from a simpler, more structured approach, especially to build solid skills at an early age. There's nothing wrong with that, but the open ended assignments are definitely a distinguishing feature of the way ELA is taught at NEST.
    Even many G&T kids benefit from a "simpler" and "more structured" approach. Why wouldn't they? That's what fundamentals and building blocks are about. G&T doesn't necessarily mean skipping them. Kids are still kids. Author's craft is still author's craft. Organization is still organization. And so on. None of that precludes no differentiation that's a separate issue.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

Quote Originally Posted by GregsTutoringNYC View Post
    Not sure I follow. I would certainly hope that both non-G&T and G&T both covered both. The assignment could have different goals, and each also could be provided to complement each other. And both could do both while still being distinct, if necessary.

Even many G&T kids benefit from a "simpler" and "more structured" approach. Why wouldn't they? That's what fundamentals and building blocks are about. G&T doesn't necessarily mean skipping them. Kids are still kids. Author's craft is still author's craft. Organization is still organization. And so on. None of that precludes no differentiation that's a separate issue.
    Providing different assignments for the same rubric is rather the definition of differentiation, and this is not available in most public schools. Also, I think you are rather misinterpeting and misreading the nature of the NEST+m example assignment that I provided; the students were still required to organize their facts, present the same five facts, but they has a more open ended format in which to do so.

It appears that you are quite critical of the NEST+m approach. I'm curious as to why you are in the business of tutoring children for these exams?'

At any rate, this sub-discussion appears to be hijacking the original poster's question, which was simply asking what the difference is between the NEST+m curriculum than others, and I was simply giving an example. Perhaps if one is interested in debating the merits of the curriculum, it would be appropriate to open up another thread to do so?

They certainly tell us that the curriculum is accelerated by a year! Not having any kids in Gen Ed, hard to confirm that. However, I will say that a big difference I've noticed between the gen ed vs NEST+m curriculum is the level of work required. For instance, we have a friend from Pre K who's in his local (very good) gen ed. In first grade, they had a writing assignment where they had to provide five facts; and they basically wrote these in the five digits of a tracing of a hand. Cute, fine, gets the job done. I happened to see it because it was posted on their fridge, and deservingly so. However, my daughter had the same assignment at NEST+m and they just had a blank piece of lined paper; they were expected to figure out the five facts, and write them out in sentences to form a paragraph or two.

I hope that illustration helps, but if not, I'm happy to answer any questions about the curriculum up through 2d grade.

thank you so much!!! this was really helpful!!!

I've seen many of both non-G&T and G&T do both. Both has their place.

Nest+m is a great school. I wish more schools were like it. A main aspect I tutor for it is the writing.