+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

How to Rank G&Ts

Question:

Should you still put your top choice as #1 even if you have virtually zero chance of getting it? Like putting Anderson first if you are a non-sib 98.

Or are you better off putting TAG or even a district G&T higher up...

thanks!

Just asked the same question - I thought it was supposed to be in order of your preference and it would not impact likelihood of getting other choices but heard this may not be the case?!

Quote Originally Posted by fidi_mom View Post
    Just asked the same question - I thought it was supposed to be in order of your preference and it would not impact likelihood of getting other choices but heard this may not be the case?!
    Rank in order of preference. You'll be on the waiting list for anything you rank above a school where you receive placement.

You will not be on the waiting list for any schools you rank below where you receive placement.

If you receive no placement, you will be on the waiting lists for all of the schools you listed.

makes sense. many thx!

Quote Originally Posted by InwoodParent View Post
    Rank in order of preference. You'll be on the waiting list for anything you rank above a school where you receive placement.

You will not be on the waiting list for any schools you rank below where you receive placement.

If you receive no placement, you will be on the waiting lists for all of the schools you listed.
    I am not sure this is correct - 2 students with same priority vying for same school, I believe if one ranked it 1st and other ranked it 3rd the one who ranked it first will have an advantage...

I am not sure this is correct - 2 students with same priority vying for same school, I believe if one ranked it 1st and other ranked it 3rd the one who ranked it first will have an advantage...
    No, that's not right for the G&Ts, the lottery just assigns you a number and goes in order. They don't lump all the kids with the same priority together, it goes by number. You can tell how this works if you are waitlisted; you end up at about the same place / where you would expect on all the lists.

This won't happen. Students with the highest priority will be randomly pulled one-by-one (lottery). Then move to the second highest priority. So there won't be two students pulled at the same time.

So A and B with same priority will be in lottery together, so it makes no difference what the ranking of the schools is on A and B's list? They just go down A's list to see where they can put A, then go down B's list, etc. (or B first if B is pulled first in the lottery, but even if B ranked a school higher than A did it won't matter if A didn't get into any of his higher ranked schools?)