+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HELP - Ranking for G&T! Algorithm question

Does anyone know how the algorithm for G&T works? I was under the impression that I should rank schools solely in order of preference (citywide, then district wide) even though there was no shot at citywide with a 98 (maybe SOME waitlist chance later in year), but was just told by someone that I should rank my district preference first because the algorithm the DOE uses actually punishes a 98 in terms of waitlist and makes it less likely to get my desired district spot if I put them lower???

Quote Originally Posted by fidi_mom View Post
    Does anyone know how the algorithm for G&T works? I was under the impression that I should rank schools solely in order of preference (citywide, then district wide) even though there was no shot at citywide with a 98 (maybe SOME waitlist chance later in year), but was just told by someone that I should rank my district preference first because the algorithm the DOE uses actually punishes a 98 in terms of waitlist and makes it less likely to get my desired district spot if I put them lower???
    They don't use a fancy matching algorithm for G&T placement. it just goes in the order that you list the schools. There's no "punishing" for not ranking a school higher or lower.

And just note that you should only rank the citywide schools ahead of the district schools if you genuinely prefer the citywide programs over the district programs. Once you're offered a spot at a school, you forgo all schools below it on your list, so if you'd actually rather send your kid to PS130 than to Q300, put PS130 ahead of Q300 even though the latter is a citywide and the former is a district program. (I mention this because you say "citywide, then district wide," and because just this morning I had a conversation with another parent in our kid's pre-k class who was convinced that the citywides all need to be ranked together at the top, then the district programs -- she seemed to think there would be two separate pulls from the lottery, one for citywide and one for district, which won't happen.)

Thanks - I know that. I would only be ranking those I prefer.

I hate to belabor the point but I just want to be clear. If A and B have the same priority (same score, same district, non-sib) and A ranks school X first and B ranks school X third, it makes NO difference in how likely B is to get school X (assuming B does not get her first or second choice schools)? And this is because A and B would be in the same lottery pool (based on their same priority) and it only matters what their lottery number is? So if A gets pulled from the pool first she would get X but if B gets pulled first they would check the first two schools and if those weren't available then check X and if X was available she would get it? Is that correct?

Yes, that's right. In the scenario you describe, all that matters is A) whose name gets randomly selected first, and B) what is the highest ranked school on that applicant's list that has an open seat.

Yes, this is NOT like ranking for a residency or fellowship in the medical field. Everyone is randomized within their own pool.

Apologies, since I am fairly new to this and this might have been answered in a different thread.

I know that simply ranking your top citywide school 1st, despite getting a 99, won't guarantee you a spot. Sibling priority will fill up the first spots. After sibling priority, I believe that it is random.

Does anyone know the % chances of getting into each of the citywides upon random selection? I know that Anderson and TAG have lower odds, given smaller number of slots available and the highest demand. Is it 50%? 25%? I know this data is pretty hard to find.

Despite scoring a 99, there are different types of 99s, namely, getting perfect on the OLSAT/NNAT or missing up to 3 questions each. Is there priority to those who score perfect 99s vs missing 2 or 3 on OLSAT/NNAT?

There's no priority given based on the raw score. All 99s are treated equally. I don't know about the odds of getting into each citywide, but i'd say it's roughly a 25% chance of getting into any of them just based on the number of seats and qualified students.

When you say number of seats and qualified students, are you assuming that everyone who aims to score a 99 will select a citiywide G&T over their local G&T schools?

I'm not sure about select, but most of them will apply