+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

PS6 vs. PS33 G&T

Hi all,

Our older kid is going into K next year. We are zoned for PS6 and have an offer to PS33 G&T. I'm trying to think about the value of having a 5-10 minute walk to school (not to mention a school that is, according to most folks, a very good school with an incredible fundraising machine attached to it, involved parents, motivated kids, no potential G&T/gen-ed rift, the ability to have 92Y after school pick her up directly from PS6, etc.) vs. a 45-60 minute bus ride (each way) to a (again, according to most folks) strong G&T program -- i.e. having her surrounded "only" by G&T peers -- with excellent exmissions, probably better than PS6's at the margins. That's judging based on public school exmissions -- based on what the PS33 Open House shared and what can be found on the DOE website for the top 5 middle schools that PS6 feeds, that's my understanding thus far. Candidly, I haven't gotten much information on private exmissions for either program yet. (I don't know if our goal is public or private middle/high school. I think we just want to maximize optionality at this point, who knows what school will be the best place for her later on yet?) It seems to me that both PS6 and PS33 G&T are successful because of very involved parents. I've been told that my kid will be happy at PS6 and thrive there by educators who know her well. I don't know that a single kid from her preschool has ever gone to PS33 G&T. So we're just sort of flying a bit blind here.

Which leads me to: I'd love to hear from anyone who made the decision (either way) between these two programs -- what motivated the choice and how has the decision played out for your kid(s)/family? If you are willing to have a conversation offline, even better.

Also, my understanding is that if we register for PS33 G&T then our PS6 registration gets blown away and is then likely filled by someone on the PS6 K waitlist -- so if PS33 G&T turns out to be something besides what we hope it to be during K... then there's unlikely to be a path back to PS6 until 1st grade. But this isn't yet confirmed with DOE directly. Would love to know if anyone has knowledge/experience with this sort of situation and how it plays out.

Thanks and good luck to all parents making their G&T decisions now.

UES great GenEd VS PS33. I am struggling too.

Quote Originally Posted by mxz0309 View Post
    UES great GenEd VS PS33. I am struggling too.
    Which UES school? How are you thinking about it and where are you leaning?

PS183. We are leaning to PS33. But not very sure.

PS 183 is an excellent school with an awesome principal. He recently won an OTTY award for his good work at the school. PS 6 would be a better choice IMHO than PS 33. I would always value short commute at elementary level and the school buildings are night and day. PA 6 is open and light and that rooftop garden is great. Didn’t love the PS 33 nabe and the log commute would be a pain every single day

Quote Originally Posted by Uesmommyof2 View Post
    PS 183 is an excellent school with an awesome principal. He recently won an OTTY award for his good work at the school. PS 6 would be a better choice IMHO than PS 33. I would always value short commute at elementary level and the school buildings are night and day. PA 6 is open and light and that rooftop garden is great. Didn’t love the PS 33 nabe and the log commute would be a pain every single day
    I hear you but I do wonder about whether that building quality is for us or for the kids. Like Hunter is a dungeon but you’d wouldn’t ding it for that. The commute is no joke and I suspect it endangers afterschool activities when the bus runs late. I have heard the 33 bus can run very late at times — like well past 4pm on particularly bad days. Not often but just the sort of thing to stress you out in a way that being local never would. Would love to hear from any UES PS33 parents about how their kids’ after school activities are and how often the bus messes things up. Is this a real issue or not?

One parent suggested 33 is downside protection in the sense that you aren’t as likely to run into parents with a different educational philosophy and you aren’t going to land an ICT class. Now I’ve had friends who told me they dreaded ICT and it turned out amazing when their kid landed in the ICT class. I have no idea how difficult an ICT class may be to manage in a worst case scenario. But one thing you generally know in G&T anywhere is you won’t have ICT. I don’t know how much that’s really worth in terms of “downside protection” however. Would love to hear from anyone who has thoughts on ICT especially at PS6.