+ Reply to Thread

ps 166 G&T vs ps 87

Hi All

Looking for some advice for my daughter. She got into PS 166 G&T program today but is registered to join PS 87 our local public school. We need to decide by end of day...so any thoughts on PS 166 G&T program as I do not have much idea on it.

Thanks !
    VV

Do you mean PS 166 in Queens? If so check out the District 30 chats on this message board. There is plenty on 166Q.

Hi thanks for your reply. This was for PS166 in Manhattan.

PS 166 G&T is basically G&T kids grouped together in a neighborhood school. The pros are (1) all kids are from the UWS, so it really does feel like a neighborhood school, and (2) the peer group is very strong - most kids scored 99 but weren’t lucky in the lottery for Anderson (although this year the cutoff may be lower because there were less 99’s in District 3 than in previous years). In comparison to citywide G&T: (1) the curriculum at PS 166 is not accelerated, just “enriched” (if even that - the school claims they don’t differentiate what is taught in G&T vs. gen-Ed) and (2) it’s a k-5 school, so they have to spend a justifiable amount of time in the upper grades to prepare for state tests that count towards middle school admission.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either choice. They are both great neighborhood schools. The peer group at PS 166 G&T will likely be narrower in terms of range of academic abilities.

Feel free to private message me if you have any other questions.

Quote Originally Posted by vvvny View Post
    Hi All

Looking for some advice for my daughter. She got into PS 166 G&T program today but is registered to join PS 87 our local public school. We need to decide by end of day...so any thoughts on PS 166 G&T program as I do not have much idea on it.

Thanks !
    VV
    Hi! Just curious what you decided to do!?

Hi we have registered at PS166 G&T .
    Heard good things about both schools but I think 166 G&T will be academically challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by vvvny View Post
    Hi we have registered at PS166 G&T .
    Heard good things about both schools but I think 166 G&T will be academically challenging.
    That's great! Congrats!