+ Reply to Thread

G&T vs progressive ed

Hi there,
    Do you guys have any opinion on progressive education and what you would prefer g&t or progressive ed? My kid is in a nice progressive opt out school in pre-k. People seem to love the school but I am concerned about middle school admission. I have a feeling that it is more about nice (really nice) community rather than education.
    Then we got an offer to a district g&t school with a much better commute for us. People also love this school but test scores are pretty average. Somehow I expect kids in g&t classes to be more motivated and I think it is important. But maybe I am wrong?
    Could you please share your opinions on progressive vs g&t? I need to pick someone's brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiall View Post
    Hi there,
    Do you guys have any opinion on progressive education and what you would prefer g&t or progressive ed? My kid is in a nice progressive opt out school in pre-k. People seem to love the school but I am concerned about middle school admission. I have a feeling that it is more about nice (really nice) community rather than education.
    Then we got an offer to a district g&t school with a much better commute for us. People also love this school but test scores are pretty average. Somehow I expect kids in g&t classes to be more motivated and I think it is important. But maybe I am wrong?
    Could you please share your opinions on progressive vs g&t? I need to pick someone's brain.
    No idea what school you're considering or district you're in. But when you're looking at the district G&T's scores, are you looking at the entire school's scores or just the G&T classes? The score data from the DOE combines gen-ed and G&T so you get the entire school in one giant blob, and there's no great way to break G&T out (other threads discuss this issue). You need to speak with school staff and G&T parents to find out about the G&T kids typical scores, and it's mostly going to be anecdotal rather than deep, detailed data. If you've done that and you have heard this G&T program's scores are just average... that would surprise me, I guess. And I would wonder what's going on with that program a bit -- most district G&T's I looked into said their kids typically get 4's on the ELA and Math exams.

Quote Originally Posted by pick12lotto View Post
    No idea what school you're considering or district you're in. But when you're looking at the district G&T's scores, are you looking at the entire school's scores or just the G&T classes? The score data from the DOE combines gen-ed and G&T so you get the entire school in one giant blob, and there's no great way to break G&T out (other threads discuss this issue). You need to speak with school staff and G&T parents to find out about the G&T kids typical scores, and it's mostly going to be anecdotal rather than deep, detailed data. If you've done that and you have heard this G&T program's scores are just average... that would surprise me, I guess. And I would wonder what's going on with that program a bit -- most district G&T's I looked into said their kids typically get 4's on the ELA and Math exams.
    I didn’t find any information on gnt class test scores so I meant the entire school test scores. Overall I got good feedback on the school but as far as I understand their gen ed and gnt programs are pretty similar so I didn’t expect big difference in test scores. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiall View Post
    I didnít find any information on gnt class test scores so I meant the entire school test scores. Overall I got good feedback on the school but as far as I understand their gen ed and gnt programs are pretty similar so I didnít expect big difference in test scores. Am I wrong?
    I would guess that you may be. Talk to parents or school staff and ask. I think even at the district G&Ts I went to where the message was G&T and GenEd are similar (PS11 being the example that comes to mind, but there were others), when asked, the answer was that yes, G&T scores are higher and usually are 4ís. Dig a little and you may find similar with your situation.