+ Reply to Thread

Social and academic adjustment, G&T 1st grade entry

Would love to hear from your experiences. For parents who sent their kids into G&T in 1st grade, what was the adjustment like?

Particularly:
    - How was the social adjustment? Did your kid find it tough or did they find the new class welcoming and maybe even liked it better due to like-minded peers?
    - If they loved their Kindergarten class in the previous school, how long did it take for them to get used to the new environment and to get over missing the old school?
    - How about the academic adjustment? How long did they take to catch up to a more academic atmosphere and were they at all intimidated/nervous about it?
    - If it's the first time they take a school bus, any issues there?

Thank you for sharing.

No experience to share yet, but I also have a rising 1st grade starting in a G&T program and in public school in general. Very interested in what people have to say!

Quote Originally Posted by nanerssonne View Post
    No experience to share yet, but I also have a rising 1st grade starting in a G&T program and in public school in general. Very interested in what people have to say!
    I freaked out about this with a 1st grade NEST+m entry, and it was totally fine on all counts. She was fine catching up, made friends quickly; kids have to work together & interact a lot, so there are plenty of opportunities to bond.

Was totally fine for us (TAG). Definitely liked it better than the previous school.