+ Reply to Thread

Question about screened schools

For the screened high schools that use 7th grade scores, do they take the average of all courses or only the core subjects like math/ELA/science?

It depends upon the screen. Some may or may not do math/English/Science/Social Studies, some will do others, some may or may not combine that with state test scores combined with other aspects. Best to look at the specific programs you're interested in. There is no longer a paper copy of the full HS directory, so go here https://www.myschools.nyc/en/schools
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

Your best bet is locate the schools web site and look at their admissions page. i would not trust that the DOE directory is up to date and its also not detailed enough to the program. Some programs within the same school weight each criteria differently (i.e., Midwood Med Sci vs Humanities weights the core subjects differently).

Good advice! Indeed the catalog has been out of date and/or insufficient a number of times in the past. It now being online should help that but it will also introduce new issues which didn't exist before, but yeah, check the schools' sites themselves too. That said, I've seen the schools' sites have errors, be changed with no notice as well, and often be ambiguous, so it can sometimes be a tough nut to crack.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)