+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Go to myschools.nyc
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

Has anyone ever requested to have the state test results reviewed? Or does anyone know the process to do so?

you probably need to go through the district welcome center to do that. if your parent coordinator at school can't answer, they always refer to the welcome center.

A standard procedure will go something like this: Should contact the principal as you basically need the principal's permission. The Parent Coordinator will field (delay) the situation until you finally get to talk with the Principal. The Principal will then try to talk you out of it. If you get past that, it will then pass up to somebody in the district. The district needs to approve it too and so between delays and reluctance that could be a number of bottlenecks. Finally IIRC the same thing will happen at the state level even though your child's test is not with the state's possession per se. And all with information that your school (and hence principal) has had in easy access since at least June.

NOTE: It's been a while since I observed this process, so it may have changed since.
    NOTE2: there is also a time limit upon your request.
    NOTE3: If you're talking about a Regents the process is the same but a tad easier, for some bad definition of easy.
    NOTE4: Some schools are impossible to contact during the summer.

May I ask why you're asking? I realize it could be personal, but, in some cases there is alternative ways to address things in a way that may not need all the red tape et al.

In short, the DOE is not keen on one reviewing Grade 3-8 tests and will more or less do everything in their power to preclude that from happening, or at least it feels that way.
    Last edited by GregsTutoringNYC; 08-23-2019 at 08:41 AM.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

Quote Originally Posted by avagee View Post
    Has anyone ever requested to have the state test results reviewed? Or does anyone know the process to do so?
    See page 54: http://www.p12.nysed.gov/assessment/sam/ei/eisam19.pdf

son grade 5 scored 654 ELA and 644 Math, should be happy with that

And FWIW this is the similar document for Regents: http://www.p12.nysed.gov/assessment/...y/hssam-19.pdf

The Regents one says more than the "state tests" version (and this may be because it has to follow similar yet different rules), both IME in both cases the documents are simplifying something which in practice becomes more involved especially if an actual change is requested or required. I've seen more complicated version of the Regent's description. I've also had to deal with two Regents messes personally and neither mess was any fun at all
    Last edited by GregsTutoringNYC; 08-23-2019 at 10:49 AM.

BTW, Hunter made a statement, and it says HCHS info will be made available in early Sept as they're still awaiting some data from NYS

Quote Originally Posted by GregsTutoringNYC View Post
    Re the Hunter cutoff from what I can see of the new data, the numbers are fairly close to what they were last year, and with the same scale, especially at the high end, so I wouldn't be surprised if they numbers were either the same or just the teeniest bit lower. This said, I'm saying this looking at NYS student numbers not the NYC subset. I think an equivalent way of saying the 625 is that they need more than 4.0 (in both). As with all things, this is all just an educated guess until they make any official statement.
    Greg, I wonder, what is your analysis behind "teeniest bit lower". Last year cutoff was 4.1 NYC Subset average score is up. And percent of kids with 4 and above have gone up 1.8%. My thought was it will be a teeny bit higher than last year.

Does anyone know another way I can check my state test scores? (Instead of myschool.nyc)