+ Reply to Thread

a) HS and MS WAITLISTS now a thing b) No more Round 2 either

de Blasio has announced that the public high school and public middle school admissions process is having two changes made:

1) You will still be selected by the algorithm as previous, but now you will also be automatically put on a waitlist for any higher choices in your priority list
    2) No more Round 2

He claims this is being done because "Itís actually going to be simple." I'm not so sure about that but here we have it.

Waitlists are supposedly going to be trackable in real time (why not with current waitlists then?).

It seems there is much ambiguity in the actual process, implementation and especially about the control by a school of the waitlist.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

I have no doubt the DOE will screw this up in any way possible whether procedural, bad software, or poor controls/communications at the school level. Remember lab HS and then lab MS last year?

I applied to beacon highschool but I placed it 3rd on my application and got into my 2nd choice school. But I didn't get added to the waitlist automatically. When I added beacon to the waitlist my position is around 3000. If I add a school to the waitlist and I ranked it in my high school application will I be ranked on the waitlist? Waitlists are really confusing can you please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by astroxstrrs View Post
    I applied to beacon highschool but I placed it 3rd on my application and got into my 2nd choice school. But I didn't get added to the waitlist automatically. When I added beacon to the waitlist my position is around 3000. If I add a school to the waitlist and I ranked it in my high school application will I be ranked on the waitlist? Waitlists are really confusing can you please explain.
    Congratulations on getting matched to your 2nd choice school. Only schools ranked higher than what you were matched to get automatic waitlist. So if you got your 2nd choice, then you are automatically placed on waitlist for your 1st choice. You are always encouraged to rank in your true preference so if you did that then there is no reason for the DOE to believe that you would want to be waitlisted to your 3rd choice if you got your 2nd choice. Besides Beacon is one of those schools that unless you're in the 10 or so on the waitlist you have no chance of getting in. Here is a helpful article on waitlists

https://chalkbeat.org/posts/ny/2020/...ions-waitlist/

HS priority lists are important. Once you get an offer those below it are not considered for offers or waitlists so that is correct that you would not be added to the waitlist for schools after your offer. If you add yourself to the waitlist now you're position will be after all the others. It's realistic that at 3K Beacon won't come into play in your potential waitlist offers.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)