+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Appreciate your input and the works you have been doing. I just talked to assistant superintendent yesterday who was assigned to take care of the email I sent to the district superintendent. Long story short for an hour of conversation, there was no improvement except the fact that they TOLD me they will escalate the issue not telling me where or how they would escalate though and what/when/how I can follow with the escalation.

Follow up each step along the way even if just to thank them, but always including an executive summary of where things are, who is responsible for what, and your expectation of a speedy resolution and a sane resolution. They can often do more than they say they can and/or are allowed.

And remember this is a thorn in their side too so it's always in their best interest to establish a resolution instead of spending hours on a phone with you on something that doesn't warrant it and sounds as if their fault. That said, do realize that an investigation of some sort will need to occur, even if that's just them calling the two schools (I don't mean investigation in any deep sense).

Anyway, if they say they're on it finally you have to let some process occur, however, you don't want it all blowing in the wind too much. So give them an expectation that you absolutely expect this to be resolved by say Friday.

And remember that resolution may not be what you want or prefer. But so far they're not even giving you anything sensible to work with.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

Quote Originally Posted by GregsTutoringNYC View Post
    Follow up each step along the way even if just to thank them, but always including an executive summary of where things are, who is responsible for what, and your expectation of a speedy resolution and a sane resolution. They can often do more than they say they can and/or are allowed.

And remember this is a thorn in their side too so it's always in their best interest to establish a resolution instead of spending hours on a phone with you on something that doesn't warrant it and sounds as if their fault. That said, do realize that an investigation of some sort will need to occur, even if that's just them calling the two schools (I don't mean investigation in any deep sense).

Anyway, if they say they're on it finally you have to let some process occur, however, you don't want it all blowing in the wind too much. So give them an expectation that you absolutely expect this to be resolved by say Friday.

And remember that resolution may not be what you want or prefer. But so far they're not even giving you anything sensible to work with.
    Thanks for the advice. In your experience, how likely is a seat will be open after the cutoff date which is 31st October I think. ? Has it happened before at reputated schools?

It's obviously slim, but if I got you right, you son was #1... at some point, so you should have that in your pocket, but that may be another snafu to wrangle with, as technically that's no longer the case.

This all said, something on the side so to speak occurred for some reason. I'm mentioning this because whatever occurred up to this point may reoccur, and you may never find out what that thing is. Again, this is all from the perspective of as best I understand your situation.

EDIT: Actually, I responded above in the context of a seat opening up now. A seat could open up after that cutoff but that has many of its own problems and the school will most likely not fill that seat in that case.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

I have no concrete advice to give, but I wholeheartedly sympathize with your situation. I think you're doing what you can, but the complicating factor here is that to make it right for you, PS 144 would now have to take away the seat from the student who took your son's, which would create the same inequity for the other family. I truly hope that another spot opens up for you. It's very possible as there's always movement through October. We got a call this week with a spot from a wait list, for example. I've never heard of anyone being taken in after October 31 as the registrar closes on that date, from what I've been told on school tours. Best of luck to you.

Schools can go over the limit of 32 kids (in exceptional situation) with proper approvals.

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker1997 View Post
    Schools can go over the limit of 32 kids (in exceptional situation) with proper approvals.
    I talked about it but no one’s willing to go that far to make this right. Everyone wants to stay in their lane. Good school system but not perfect and when the system fails, sad to see no ones willing go above and beyond to make it right. That’s how I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel.zp.csk85@gmail.com View Post
    I talked about it but no one’s willing to go that far to make this right. Everyone wants to stay in their lane. Good school system but not perfect and when the system fails, sad to see no ones willing go above and beyond to make it right. That’s how I see it.

I reread your entire posting again, and I did not see that you talked about the option of going over 32 kids in your posts. Are you sure you did talk to the DOE about this option? I just want to make sure you just did not forget.

As well, if the situation is clearly as you said it, there is always another person to go to for resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker1997 View Post
    I reread your entire posting again, and I did not see that you talked about the option of going over 32 kids in your posts. Are you sure you did talk to the DOE about this option? I just want to make sure you just did not forget.
    I did. Principal, district assistant superintendent and a high rank personel from ES enrollmet all said thats not an option.