+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My son lost his rightfully earned G&T seat at PS 144

I'm posting this in hope that I can reach out to whoever that can help my son get his hardly earned seat back in PS 144 G&T class.

After almost 6 months of tireless effort, some sacrifices, money and time my son got 98% in his G&T test. We applied PS 144 above PS 119 as priority on our application. At first he got PS 119 and we admitted him to that school and he was #1 on PS 144 wait list. As soon as the application dead line passed, PS 144 told us that a seat available so we admitted him in PS 144 and gave a courtesy call to PS 119 about it. We got all our information about supply list, transportation date, location, time, class number etc, from PS 144 and we were so happy until all those dream came true was denied.

On my son first day of school, we put him on the yellow bus and thought all was good. Later PS 144 called me and said my son is not suppose to be in PS 144. They said he should be in PS 119 saying that PS 119 pulled my son out of PS 144 list and put it on their list. We were shocked and went to talked to the Principal of PS 144 and my son was in the office room and looked so upset and later he told us it's because there was no name, place for him in the room 317 that he was assigned in the beginning.

Talked with the Principal and found out that someone from PS 119 pulled out my son from PS 144 for no reason, without parent's acknowledgement, and PS 144 filled up the seat with next in line wait list without even asking us. I can't believe how a person has the access/ability to just take a child out of a school without any kind of supporting documents such as "application forms" and also how could PS 144 just let go of their student without checking reason/support evidence of why one of their students was pulled out. We were literally shocked. My son was so proud that he worked hard and achieved the seat and now all is shattered within moments.

After talking with Principal for over 2 hours, we were cornered with two options, (i) PS 119 G&T or (ii) PS 144 general education class. They said they will wait and see if any seat comes up in PS 144 G&T program and that my son will get it when available. To me, that is ridiculous that basically my son was put in the wait list again at a time when almost all the students are already in place across the district. I had no choice but to stick with PS 144 because PS 119 is out of my district and further from home which would make us harder since we also have younger daughter going to pre-k and have to drop off/ pick up every day.

I talked to G&T enrollment center and filed a complaint (the ES enrollment email as well), which they probably talked to PS 144 principal and resulted in the same situation. We tried to reach school district 28 superintendent but was only able to talk with office staff and after long heated conversation I was basically told that this is something out of their hands, because it's not their school district fault even though the victim, my son, is from their school district. They offered us G&T seat in other school that were lower (no offence) but we didn't take because my son already earned his seat in PS 144 and it was take away.

We have done everything we can think of. We are just so sad that after all the time, money, effort, sacrifices spent , my child seat was lost. He was so proud that he did it and now all lost. My family migrated into united states 3 years ago. It took 14 years for us to finally get into unite states as legal permanent resident because we respected the immigration policy and law and did the right way to come here. The same with the G&T application, we gave everything we got for my son to get this seat, we followed all rules and guidelines determined by NYDOE, did it the right way but now all is lost? It's totally UNFAIR to us especially for my son.

So please help me on how to escalate this issue since the district superintendent office it's out of their hand, where can i go to? How to contact G&T program director directly? My son is currently attending Gen Ed in PS 144 because of no choice and for the reasons I have written above.

If I understand your situation (I may not), can you clarify which district you're in, which district the two schools in question you are in, and which district you spoke with?

In the meantime, I would demand that you be provided with who swapped his registration and why. Somebody knows. I bet many people know. From what you described this was not "an accident" or a oversight of paperwork, this is what I call an "on purpose."
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

Quote Originally Posted by GregsTutoringNYC View Post
    If I understand your situation (I may not), can you clarify which district you're in, which district the two schools in question you are in, and which district you spoke with?

In the meantime, I would demand that you be provided with who swapped his registration and why. Somebody knows. I bet many people know. From what you described this was not "an accident" or a oversight of paperwork, this is what I call an "on purpose."
    Thanks for the response. I am in district 28 same as PS 144 and PS 119 is in district 24. When called, a lady from PS 119 said the person who took my son away from PS 144 list, recently had a surgical operation on her brain. I know it's rude but I think is not a coincidence.

Is there any person that I can talk to? Or will it push me to go ahead with legal action?

If it's not your district's "fault" then whose district who would go to? That's a stupid and insulting response from them. Ditto for the person who did the switch. Multiple people were involved, and not just somebody who had brain surgery. As mentioned previously if I understand your situation (I may not), you're being duped. Not sure why.

A concern about legal action is how does that help you son on Monday morning? That answer is it probably won't. I'm not saying don't consider it, just that something else needs to be occurring in the meantime. IME at a minimum 5 people could have already either solved this for you or at least given you an ample explanation for what occurred and why. They are the two principals, the two district heads, and somebody way up in G&T. If your talking with office staff, PCs, etc you're being led down a rabbit hole, and fast. I'd insist that nobody else talk with you unless (and that's a big unless) they're in continued direct communication with them and that it's kept reigned in. IME they could all solve this in seconds or at least give you a valid explanation even if you don't like the explanation. Sounds like they've said and told you stuff but doesn't quite sound valid yet.

Do you have any official paper work from either of the two schools? This could be actual paper, emails, whatever, documenting any timeline of your view of what transpired?

Also at this point, I'd move from oral discussions with them to ones with paperwork, even if it is just summaries that you email them upon which if they disagree with your assessment, what occurred, etc, then it tends to put the onus on them to have to negate it.

In the interim, try to not involve you son in the theatre of it all. I know that can be hard, but can also be crucial on a number of things moving forward.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

Quote Originally Posted by GregsTutoringNYC View Post
    If it's not your district's "fault" then whose district who would go to? That's a stupid and insulting response from them. Ditto for the person who did the switch. Multiple people were involved, and not just somebody who had brain surgery. As mentioned previously if I understand your situation (I may not), you're being duped. Not sure why.

A concern about legal action is how does that help you son on Monday morning? That answer is it probably won't. I'm not saying don't consider it, just that something else needs to be occurring in the meantime. IME at a minimum 5 people could have already either solved this for you or at least given you an ample explanation for what occurred and why. They are the two principals, the two district heads, and somebody way up in G&T. If your talking with office staff, PCs, etc you're being led down a rabbit hole, and fast. I'd insist that nobody else talk with you unless (and that's a big unless) they're in continued direct communication with them and that it's kept reigned in. IME they could all solve this in seconds or at least give you a valid explanation even if you don't like the explanation. Sounds like they've said and told you stuff but doesn't quite sound valid yet.

Do you have any official paper work from either of the two schools? This could be actual paper, emails, whatever, documenting any timeline of your view of what transpired?

Also at this point, I'd move from oral discussions with them to ones with paperwork, even if it is just summaries that you email them upon which if they disagree with your assessment, what occurred, etc, then it tends to put the onus on them to have to negate it.

In the interim, try to not involve you son in the theatre of it all. I know that can be hard, but can also be crucial on a number of things moving forward.
    thanks for the advice. The evidence of PS 119 pulling my son out of PS 144 can be seen on ATS sheet (i think that's what they called it) with the time stamps. I have just sent an email to both superintendents, family support coordinator and family leadership coordinator of both districts. Just like you said, I would think this issue be can addressed if both district authorities cooperates but the question is are they willing to do? I have tried all ways I can think of and it seems like I'm seeing the typical mindset of "This is not my job / This is out of my hands" is big in those office. Even though they acknowledge that my son should've the seat but they are not willing to go above and beyond to make what's right. And typically doing the right thing never comes easily.

In my dealing with the DOE, staff will do lots to deflect. Even many APs and principals will. So contact the superintendents directly and insist they respond to you personally. Yep, superintendents are busy people, but they could still be involved at least to tell you where to go. Not to diss all staff but you don't just want the person answering the phone. It sounds like you still need at least a valid explanation and the superintendent should be able to obtain that for you even if they don't do it personally.

Thanks. Hopefully and they should take it attention and reply my email. In any kind of sector, one of the leadership responsibilities is to take corrective action on any issues that happened within their scope of responsibility. In my son's case, it's both the superintendents responsibilities to cooperate and correct. I really do want to see that we really have accountable leaders who are committed to fulfill their responsibilities.

Couldn't agree more. Best in resolving this.

It’s sad to see a lot of people has read but seems no one really has the slightest idea on how to address this issue. Which is worrisome how the public education system can screw someone easily over their mistake and no one knows how they can be hold accountable for. Sad system it has become.

Whenever I've personally had an issue of any severity, I would try to get it resolved instantaneously with the people directly involved, including ensuring it was documented from the get-go until the resolution. In the few cases where it was not resolved at the local level, I always went directly to the superintendent. The superintendent always solved it instantaneously, sometimes doing it themselves at such a low level I was surprised. Of course, different superintendents do things differently.

I also work as an education child advocate for families in many situations, following the same paths if needed, whether meeting with teachers, staff, principals or district folk. As a third party I can often act as a negotiator so to speak often deescalating the problem quickly given the dynamics and as "an outsider."

At the end of the day you have a side issue to them as happens in any bureaucracy but from what you've described, it should have been explained to you in full at this point and resolved.