+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Hey Greg, I think I have a good understanding of how the test works. I also have heard 65 is the raw score cutoff that kids usually need (I think it varies from year to year) to get to the essay round. My daughter got a 45 on a mock test. That is 45 correct answers out of 82. I'm not sure if 65 is the raw score needed or if it's 65%? In any case this is with ZERO prep, not knowing anything about the test or its format, and not being all that well rested or trying her very best. I'm just wondering if a baseline score like that if she has any chance of getting it up by 20 points with a prep course or is it a lost cause? She is pretty good at math so I'm sure sure her 15 out of 30 math answers could def improve by at least 10 with some prep. The essay may be the harder part as her essay was graded a 6 out of 10 and that would need to come up to a 10.

BTW, not being rested, or not being her very best, is actually a metabolizing scenario as conditions on test day can vary as well, prep or no prep. An important aspect of any standardized testing is psychological and physical, and sometimes those are some of the greatest hurdles.

The thing about the 65% (no matter what it means or how it is computed) is that if it's supposed to 85% then it's pretty far away and wrong. The bottom line is that they release as little information as possible and want it that way. The rest is lots and lots and lots of speculation from us. And so it's often wrong and often impacting in totally unhelpful ways and often leading us astray.

FWIW, as I mentioned in the livestreams I did, for most of my Hunter students -- all very bright kids and then some -- usually can only get about half the test right from the start. That teethers to the 65%. So, unfortunately, that number becomes meaningless as almost none of the kids will initially be able to end up as the 175 even with lots of help. We're talking about about .2% of all NYC kids that age, inching right up to being statistically zero; that's hard!

At the end of that day, the best a student can do is understand the test and understand it well. And by virtue of that the best as student can do is get as many right as possible. ...Have to realize that many of the kids are going to be able to bump up their scores too.... in many ways it'll therefore end up being an equal chase. And often it will come down to knowing/mastering/understanding a few questions. And knowing perfectly well how to separate yourself from that others. Five/Six questions is a lot when you think about it when there is only 80 altogether. But atop that you don't know which five. So you have to prepare for a few dozen not just five. And a number of other things. It's a numbers game, but that's only a part of it.

In a nutshell what you're discussing is practical, but quite a cratered road that need to be approached fairly methodically and judiciously.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

Right, I agree. But there are plenty of kids who take the test with little or not prep and don't stand a chance. I know quite a few who did that last year!

Indeed, my comments don't negate that. There are definitely kids who are doing it for the fun of it and many other reasons. There are also kids who are so far advanced they can just roll out of bed the morning of the test with it sight unseen and end up the top student. But that's a unicorn. And many although they may not have prepped explicitly for Hunter some have explicitly previously prepped in many other ways for years.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)