+ Reply to Thread

Post 9th grade shsat vs my zone school

I got into one of the best middle schools in nyc. I would say that I am an average student here. I got into my zoned school for hs. At first, I was devastated and I planned on retaking the shsat. But now, Iím starting to like my zoned school because I am one of the top students in my class. I like it here. But my parents donít want to me stay here. I have not decided if I should give up on retaking the shsat. So if I do get in through the 9th grade shsat, do I have a choice between my current hs and the specialized one? Or is it just like the second round of hs applications for 8th graders? We were not given a choice, if we were accepted into our second round choice, that is final and we didnít get to choose between our first round acceptance and our second round acceptance.

If you retake the SHSAT and get a SHS choice, you are not automatically transferred to that SHS. You still have the option of accepting it or not. To be clearer: You can retake the SHSAT, meet a cutoff and get accepted into a SHS, but reject it and stay in your current HS. Your current HS is your HS until changed. So yes, you have a choice to stay in your current HS even if you get accepted into a SHS.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCSTUDENT1487 View Post
    I got into one of the best middle schools in nyc. I would say that I am an average student here. I got into my zoned school for hs. At first, I was devastated and I planned on retaking the shsat. But now, Iím starting to like my zoned school because I am one of the top students in my class. I like it here. But my parents donít want to me stay here. I have not decided if I should give up on retaking the shsat. So if I do get in through the 9th grade shsat, do I have a choice between my current hs and the specialized one? Or is it just like the second round of hs applications for 8th graders? We were not given a choice, if we were accepted into our second round choice, that is final and we didnít get to choose between our first round acceptance and our second round acceptance.
    If you can take the most challenging courses available at your zoned HS while finishing as one of the top students you will almost certainly be better positioned for college admissions than you would be at a specialized.

A SHS is certainly not the end of the world, and in general, way too much focus is put on them. That said, generally comparing aspects of a zoned HS with a SHS is not quite on the same page whether in the view of college admissions or not. That said, with so much focus on schools, so much is up the student. So indeed many good students can be well prepared under many different conditions. Meaning of course there is inherently nothing necessarily wrong with NYCSTUDENT continuing with their local HS. Adversity comes in all forms, and how one handles it is often paramount.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)