+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Requirements for townsend

Hi can anyone tell me the requirements for townsend harris? Is the requirements going to be different if you are trying to get a 10th grade seat?

Quote Originally Posted by SHSAT2017 View Post
    reply is above
    What do you think are my chances to get in? Im a female living in queens. My gpa for 8th grade is a 99.28, my living environment regents score was a 95, my algebra 1 is a 94, and my history and governments regents score was a 98. Lastly, my ela state test score was a 4.0 and my math state test score for 7th grade was a 4.5.

I sent you a private mssg, did you receive it? I don't know for some reason my answer didn't repost. I wrote to you say about how they review 10th grade applications. They don't look at 7th grade scores. Attendance, grades, and state test are what they look. Your 8th grade stats, not 7th I got in as a transfer. I chose Stuy however. There are only 5-10 seats, or very few out of thousands that apply. The school ranks you in the order they want you, and sends it to the DOE, and they match using an algorithm.
    My stats were:
    8th grade- Pre-Calculus Honors: 100
    English 8 Honors: 99
    Chemistry Honors: 99
    French Honors 8: 99
    Phys Ed: 99
    ( I went to Anderson, a G&T middle school in upper west side Manhattan, so my schedule was accelerated)
    STATE EXAM: 4.45 math 4.5 ELA
    Lateness/Absence: 0/0
    Last edited by SHSAT2017; 09-25-2019 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SHSAT2017 View Post
    I sent you a private mssg, did you receive it. I don't for some reason my answer won't post.
    Yes i did thanks for replying

No problem. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Oh btw what was your shsat score the second time you took it? I want to retake the shsat and im thinking about putting york first since its cutoff is low.

628- Stuy

I am going to make sure, because I still have the letter from last year, but it was in the 600s range. For York, I have a friend (who went to a zoned school hs, for proximity reason). She got a 520 something, I forgot, but it was low, and got into York, but the retake is much harder than the 8th grade one.
    Last edited by SHSAT2017; 09-25-2019 at 06:52 PM.

Ouufff thats a really good score! How did you prep for the test?? Can you recommend some helpful resources?

My score on the 8th grade exam was 518. I made it by the cut off lol. But, the summer prior to freshman year at Bronx Science, I worked very hard, and self-prepped day and night. If you go back to my previous posts, I actually outline all the steps. Its definitely doable. As for prep, that's more geared to 8th graders, in my opinion. I never actually expected to get into Stuy, so it was a pleasant surprise

Here is the post. I copy and pasted it.

HOW TO STUDY:
    Reading- READ!!!! Read!!!’ CHALLENGING MATERIALS AND BOOKS! NEW YORKER/ SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN articles AND HIGH LEVEL BOOKS. Keep a WORD JOURNAL TO SEARCH UP VOCABULARY. Their TESTING READING COMP. DO SAT READING PASSAGES, and REVIEW THE EXPLANATION
    GRAMMAR: AGAIN SAT OR PSAT GRAMMAR SHOULD DO. STUDY TRICKY GRAMMAR RULES, BUT IF YOUR A STRONG/ HIGH LEVEL READER, this SHOULD COME NATURALLY
    MATH: here is the most difficult portion. USE MATH A or KNOWN AS MATH LEVEL 1/ MATH 2/ SAT MATH/ PSAT MATH and many of the questions are akin to AMC level 10/11/12 questions. Practice these. Incase your unfamiliar, AMC IS AMERICAN MATHAMATICS COMPETITION. Those 25 question sets are invaluable. If you need to brush up on ALGEBRA 1 or Geometry, do regents questions. GEOMETRY WAS BIG ON THE EXAM and ADVANCED ALGEBRAIC WORD PROBLEMS. I RECALL A QUESTION INVOLVING KNOWING the PYTHAGOREAN TRIPLETS. Most PROPLE Do not KNOW 8:15:17 is a Pythagorean triplet, and that was the correct answer and one of the choices. There is NO TRIG FROM WHAT I RECALL ON THE EXAM. And if there is, they will not go deep, just know SOH CAH TOA, but I doubt that will show up.

As for CUT OFFS it varies year to year and how everyone else did, but I will take a shot

STUY: 596 or 600s range
    Bronx SCIENCE: 570
    TECH: 530-540 or slightly lower
    LATIN: 515
    York: 520
    HSMSE: 550
    STATEN ISLAND TECH: 570

Rank your choices with the most preference. The order is crucial as well"

Good luck!!!
    Last edited by SHSAT2017; 09-25-2019 at 07:08 PM.