+ Reply to Thread

Salk cut-off for admissions?

Hi all,

Does anyone know what the cutoff for admissions was for Salk in the past year? Also, how do schools account for 3+ grades in their rubric. Does it round down to 3?

Any insight helpful! First time parent navigating middle school apps!

Salk Scores

My daughter is graduation this year. When she started there was still an interview and onsite test. Then there were some kids with high 3's. Now that it's simply grades and test scores, I'm not aware of anyone getting in without double 4's.

The school would not announce cut-offs but the DOE website has the incoming average scores which is helpful somewhat: The 2019 incoming average ELA and MATH state test scores were 3.9 and 4.0.

Thanks! Can you share the website where you pulled this data?

Quote Originally Posted by casablanca View Post
    The school would not announce cut-offs but the DOE website has the incoming average scores which is helpful somewhat: The 2019 incoming average ELA and MATH state test scores were 3.9 and 4.0.
    I believe those are incoming 5th grade scores, however, not 4th grade (which is used for admissions). Prep is usually not as intense for 5th grade, so keep that in mind, these scores may not be reflective of what the incoming class actually had for 4th grade. Does Salk also set a number of seats aside for kids with IEPs? If so, this can influence those averages too. Would love to hear from parents, "My kid got in with a 97 rubric score last year" but unfortunately haven't found any resource for that!

Also - per your original question regarding how schools treat 3s and 4s... every school's rubric is different. You can find Salk's on their website, and they use the raw score (i.e. 4.19, not just a "4").

Yes, you are correct...I would expect the 4th grade scores to be at least 10% higher