+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shsat retake

Shsat retake

So I am planning on retaking the shsat. Since the high school I am attending doesn’t have a homeroom and I am not even allowed to meet my guidance counselor during my lunchtime, I have no idea what is going on with the shsat and specialized high school administration. Is anything going to be different for me as a current 9th grader? When did the shsat application start?

The registration period ends October 10. You'll need to sign up using myschools.nyc. If you don't have an account or didn't receive instructions on how to set it up, you need to talk to your guidance counselor ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCSTUDENT1487 View Post
    So I am planning on retaking the shsat. Since the high school I am attending doesn’t have a homeroom and I am not even allowed to meet my guidance counselor during my lunchtime, I have no idea what is going on with the shsat and specialized high school administration. Is anything going to be different for me as a current 9th grader? When did the shsat application start?
    I took the 9th grade SHSAT, and received my scores back last march. Anyways, I got into Stuy on the retake. The 9th grade SHSAT is much more difficult than the 8th grade version, as it tests more advanced math concepts, and the reading is slightly more difficult. Overall, it requires more preparation depending how well you did on your 8th grade exam. I scored a 519 on my 8th grade test & got into Bronx Science, where I spent my freshman year, but improved to a 628 and got into Stuy. However, this required lot of effort and preparation from my own part.

And you need your OSIS and an (initially) DOE provided password to get into myschools.nyc if you don't already have an account. That's silly about your school's guidance counselor but is unfortunately a common problem across many schools.

In any event, get on this as you only have about a week now to register. Consider the date firm (unless they change it for everybody). Consider calling a DOE Welcome Center at 718-935-2009 for myschools.nyc access if you need to. Don't wait, do this today. And realize you'll probably get wrong or conflicting info in the process.

Given you took the SHSAT last year and registration was via myschools.nyc (even if you guidance counselor did it they used it at least indirectly) so try to get that in order. Maybe see if you can meet the GC before school or after school. If not go to an AP or the Principal and don't leave until somebody help you. This is all easy on their side.

And don't hesitate to bounce any concerns, or even your understandings, or what needs to be done, or has been done here. Good luck!
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)