+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by fragglemama View Post
    thank you! I am definitely trying to send emails and call local city council re. G&T (was involved in the high school SHSAT as well as I have 2 middle school boys). I believe there should be G&T for anyone who ** qualifies **. I really don't understand why they cannot expand these programs to every school and even test when the children are older.
    That is great! I hope that everyone is calling their city council members, but who knows? Preach to the choir all you want...I think it helps us to motivate each other, and feel a little less despairing with all the social media & even the DOE against us. If you're on facebook, theres an advocacy group that's formed called F.A.C.E. NYC (Friends of Accelerated Curriculum and Education in NYC), you might be interested in checking it out.

Quote Originally Posted by fragglemama View Post
    My primary worry for my still 3 year old is that he will not be able to sit still for the test and/or he will not want to go alone with a stranger. this should not be my worry for a G&T test! (but I'm sure I am preaching to the choir here)
    Look at it this way, since you've been through this with your older kids, you already know that's the big obstacle. Honestly, I think people get so hung up on test "prep", when probably the best thing you can do is to get the kid comfortable with sitting alone with a stranger (can you hire someone, even a babysitter type, to do a practice test?), and also with the notion that the stranger won't be giving them feedback on their answers, whether they are right or wrong. I'm convinced that rattles a lot of kids who aren't expecting it...what 4 year old doesn't expect to hear "Good job!" or "Try that again" when they've answered a question?

Quote Originally Posted by InwoodParent View Post
    That is great! I hope that everyone is calling their city council members, but who knows? Preach to the choir all you want...I think it helps us to motivate each other, and feel a little less despairing with all the social media & even the DOE against us. If you're on facebook, theres an advocacy group that's formed called F.A.C.E. NYC (Friends of Accelerated Curriculum and Education in NYC), you might be interested in checking it out.

I didn't know about this group. I am going to try it and check it out. I think it is tough to motivate parents that aren't already in the "system" -- you don't really know what the stakes are for your child's education until you are "in it". I have been trying to spread the word with parents of 2 and 3 year old, but it's a tough sell and I don't want to be too annoying!!!

Look at it this way, since you've been through this with your older kids, you already know that's the big obstacle. Honestly, I think people get so hung up on test "prep", when probably the best thing you can do is to get the kid comfortable with sitting alone with a stranger (can you hire someone, even a babysitter type, to do a practice test?), and also with the notion that the stranger won't be giving them feedback on their answers, whether they are right or wrong. I'm convinced that rattles a lot of kids who aren't expecting it...what 4 year old doesn't expect to hear "Good job!" or "Try that again" when they've answered a question?
    great idea! this prep stuff is actually new to me. we had actually just moved to the city before prek and I had no idea that anyone at all would prep for these tests. we did live in a better school zone at that point, so G&T just gave us more options. I love the idea of my child practicing with someone who won't give him feedback--I could totally see how that would make him possibly not do as well as possible. thanks for the support!

Quote Originally Posted by Drool6 View Post
    I understood that part, which you already provided her with an answer. I just wanted to remind her about expectations, which she is well aware of. I knew quite a few people that thought a 97 could get them into Nest or Anderson.
    I appreciate your help! I happened to be aware of this, but I'm sure that there is a lot that I don't know about this process.

This year we got into a district g&t program out of our district. As far as I understand that meant that they have accepted kids who scored 90+ in their district and still had spots for kids out of the district. Speaking for Brooklyn.
    I mean you don't need 97+ to get into district gnt if you are not in district 2. What I did last year: I found information on the class sizes for each school and contacted schools with gnt K classes with less than 25 kids and asked if they accepted kids out of their district.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiall View Post
    This year we got into a district g&t program out of our district. As far as I understand that meant that they have accepted kids who scored 90+ in their district and still had spots for kids out of the district. Speaking for Brooklyn.
    I mean you don't need 97+ to get into district gnt if you are not in district 2. What I did last year: I found information on the class sizes for each school and contacted schools with gnt K classes with less than 25 kids and asked if they accepted kids out of their district.
    wow! nice to know. thanks!