+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

number of questions incorrect for G&T 97 or above Kindergarten entry

Hi,
    We live in a terrible school zone and I am beginning to prep my son for the G&T test. He is a mid-November baby. I would like to keep in the back of my head approx how many questions he can miss and still receive a 97 or above to get into our district school. I seem to remember and xls that was released by the DOE that showed the raw scores and translated them into percentiles based on birthdate range. Does anyone know where I can find that? Does anyone know approx how many questions fall birthday kids can miss when taking the test and still get a 99, 98 or 97?

Thanks!
    jen

So sorry you're going through this, we were in the same boat...best bet is to find the links to the spreadsheets that people have posted in prior years that show the birth month, raw score, and percentile.

Here is 2017-2018: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Oh my goodness, this is extremely helpful! I feel much better--it seems like he can miss a lot and still do well. I hate that 4 year olds have to take this test!!! Thank you so much.

If you are aiming for City-Wide G&T entry, remember that most of the top tier ones usually only admit those that score 99. Also, depending on your District, you may need to score a 98 or 99 to get into a zoned G&T program.

If you scroll through the threads for past years, you'll see the spreadsheets people in this group have set up for every year, so you can get a sense of range.

What I personally hate is that public schools vary so much by district, so that those of us who don't have strong public schools in our areas have no good public school options and have to pin our hopes on the G&Ts...which the DOE is now trying to eliminate because they've concentrated too many of these programs in high income districts!

Definitely sign up, definitely come to this group for advice along the way, but also please call your local City Councilmember and let them know how important it is to keep the G&T programs, if not expand them to districts that are currently underserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Drool6 View Post
    If you are aiming for City-Wide G&T entry, remember that most of the top tier ones usually only admit those that score 99. Also, depending on your District, you may need to score a 98 or 99 to get into a zoned G&T program.
    thanks. I really just want him to go to the district one that his brothers went to. I'm hoping he can get in with a 97. unfortunately they graduated already so no sibling preference for us!

Quote Originally Posted by Drool6 View Post
    she's asking about the raw scores, not the percentiles.

Quote Originally Posted by InwoodParent View Post
    If you scroll through the threads for past years, you'll see the spreadsheets people in this group have set up for every year, so you can get a sense of range.

What I personally hate is that public schools vary so much by district, so that those of us who don't have strong public schools in our areas have no good public school options and have to pin our hopes on the G&Ts...which the DOE is now trying to eliminate because they've concentrated too many of these programs in high income districts!

Definitely sign up, definitely come to this group for advice along the way, but also please call your local City Councilmember and let them know how important it is to keep the G&T programs, if not expand them to districts that are currently underserved.
    thank you! I am definitely trying to send emails and call local city council re. G&T (was involved in the high school SHSAT as well as I have 2 middle school boys). I believe there should be G&T for anyone who ** qualifies **. I really don't understand why they cannot expand these programs to every school and even test when the children are older. My primary worry for my still 3 year old is that he will not be able to sit still for the test and/or he will not want to go alone with a stranger. this should not be my worry for a G&T test! (but I'm sure I am preaching to the choir here)

Quote Originally Posted by fragglemama View Post
    thanks. I really just want him to go to the district one that his brothers went to. I'm hoping he can get in with a 97. unfortunately they graduated already so no sibling preference for us!

Great.. So you are already familiar with this mess of a process! Good luck to you and your son!

Quote Originally Posted by InwoodParent View Post
    she's asking about the raw scores, not the percentiles.

I understood that part, which you already provided her with an answer. I just wanted to remind her about expectations, which she is well aware of. I knew quite a few people that thought a 97 could get them into Nest or Anderson.