+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Asquare View Post
    I guess no one knows
    I think I can agree with some of the estimates being suggested but without precise data and the numbers being so tight it's a tough nut to crack with certainty.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

99+ mathematically means you need at least a 4.42 or 4.43 on either of the exams and then a decent score on the other. So that's not that many kids to begin with. Keep in mind some kids acing the math test, are not strong ELA students.

Quote Originally Posted by finewinescholar View Post
    99+ mathematically means you need at least a 4.42 or 4.43 on either of the exams and then a decent score on the other. So that's not that many kids to begin with. Keep in mind some kids acing the math test, are not strong ELA students.
    That is helpful. Is it possible to figure out the score overlap for both ELA/Math? For example, how many kids got say 4.2 in each? Im trying to figure out as best I can, how many kids are ahead of mine just on their average ELA/Math score?

Second, it seems to me that if say Clinton did a lottery for perfect scores, it would have to do so for all applicants—otherwise a law suit. At the Clinton open house, the principal said they would fill for the high scores and then a lottery for those with the same scores under that number. I understood that to mean 100% would get seats and then the balance to anyone with a 3 in the wrong place on their school report. He also said about 70 seats, down from 92 last year, which would change the math somewhat.

I thought Greg said they use Stanines? That would mean 96-100 would all be in the same lottery grouping.

It's possible that they can still get distinction even if groupings are used in parts of the formula. I'd have to look again.

I think too that any delta in the numbers we won't be able to calculate much further externally like this.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5