+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47
  1. #1

    LAB or Salk cut-off

    I was wondering if anybody was aware what last year’s cut-off for LAB or Salk middle school were. My son got 4.26 in ELA and 4.42 for math; got 4s in school but 3 on “Respect school rules” due mostly to his ADHD. Since LAB is his dream school and Salk is close second (my personal favourite in D2) I was hoping I can get an idea if he has a realistic chance for those schools... based on the rubrics his score is ~ 94.6 out of 100. Can anyone help with this information please?

  2. #2
    I think he has a great chance, but of course it all depends on who else applies. LAB is super inclusive and has a wonderful ICT program as well as a new NEST program. As far as grades/test scores, I can't help you with Salk, but my boys were accepted there and one had about the same ELA and slightly lower math. The other had .25 lower on both math and ELA than your son. They both had all 4s with grades and behavior. Good luck!!

  3. #3
    Does anyone wiling to provide more specifics than this?

    For example:
    1. Does anyone know the ranges that students were accepted last year to SALK, Clinton, NEST and ESMS under their rubrics?
    2. For its rubric, does Clinton use the precise ELA and Math state scores, or simple 4 or 3? Clinton’s website suggests the latter, but it might not be updated.

    Any intelligence would be appreciated and very useful for everyone.

  4. #4
    IIRC Clinton does things in ranges, stanine'ish if you will.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by GregsTutoringNYC View Post
    IIRC Clinton does things in ranges, stanine'ish if you will.
    Not sure what you are saying?

  6. #6
    stanines usually break down say a 1-100 score into groups of 9, so a 81 might be an 8. I don't recall Clinton does exactly that but I'm fairly certain it does groupings for both the state tests and for your report card grades.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by kristinayn View Post
    Does anyone wiling to provide more specifics than this?

    For example:
    1. Does anyone know the ranges that students were accepted last year to SALK, Clinton, NEST and ESMS under their rubrics?
    2. For its rubric, does Clinton use the precise ELA and Math state scores, or simple 4 or 3? Clinton’s website suggests the latter, but it might not be updated.

    Any intelligence would be appreciated and very useful for everyone.
    1. NEST would require almost perfect state test scores and 4s in report cards. The other schools are harder to tell - most kids I heard have all 4s in everything but I have also heard a few kids with one 3 in report card got into them. Have you tried asking your school's guidance counseler? I'd imagine he/she would have a good sense based on last year's results?
    2. I believe Clinton has historically simply use 4 or 3 not the precise proficiency rating/scale score. So there are a lot of applicants who would be ranked the same and I was told it then became a lottery.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCDTM View Post
    1. NEST would require almost perfect state test scores and 4s in report cards. The other schools are harder to tell - most kids I heard have all 4s in everything but I have also heard a few kids with one 3 in report card got into them. Have you tried asking your school's guidance counseler? I'd imagine he/she would have a good sense based on last year's results?
    2. I believe Clinton has historically simply use 4 or 3 not the precise proficiency rating/scale score. So there are a lot of applicants who would be ranked the same and I was told it then became a lottery.
    Thanks a lot for the information. My daughter has straight 4's on report card and 4's on exams, but not as high as we hoped (4.09/4.14) and we are trying to figure out her chances for these schools. It's hard to get straight information from people.

  9. #9
    Purely my guess, beyond what is public information. The % and # of students for each proficiency rating was based on what I thought was reasonable for a standardized test, knowing district 2 is well above the state average.

    ELA
    Point Score Scaled Score Grade Proficiency Rating % of Students # of Students
    28 619 4 4.00 10.1% 262
    29 622 4 4.04 12.0% 310
    30 626 4 4.09 8.3% 215
    31 632 4 4.17 6.4% 167
    32 639 4 4.26 4.6% 119
    33 651 4 4.43 2.8% 72
    34 656 4 4.50 1.8% 48
    46% 1192

    Math
    Point Score Scaled Score Grade Proficiency Rating % of Students # of Students
    38 614 4 4.00 5.6% 146
    39 616 4 4.02 5.6% 146
    40 618 4 4.05 6.7% 175
    41 621 4 4.10 7.8% 205
    42 624 4 4.14 9.0% 234
    43 628 4 4.20 7.8% 205
    44 633 4 4.27 6.7% 175
    45 643 4 4.42 4.5% 117
    46 648 4 4.50 2.2% 58
    56% 1462

  10. #10
    Interesting! So the maximum number of kids who could have "double 4s" is 1192 (though of course, will be lower than this). Do we know how many total seats there are across all of the D2 coveted screened programs (factoring out diversity and IEP initiatives)?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts